Welsummer and her egg!!

Chquinta

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 9, 2015
Moss Hill, Texas
I brought a welsummer at 16wks and have been waiting for her to start laying. It's been 30 weeks and she finally laid her 1st egg yesterday but I was expecting largo/jumbo and dark/brown eggs. Can u please help me out to determine if she in fact is a welsummer and what's up with her eggs.

AmericanMom

Songster
6 Years
Aug 10, 2013
Oregon
I brought a welsummer at 16wks and have been waiting for her to start laying. It's been 30 weeks and she finally laid her 1st egg yesterday but I was expecting largo/jumbo and dark/brown eggs. Can u please help me out to determine if she in fact is a welsummer and what's up with her eggs.

Your hen is still considered a pullet, new layers lay small eggs for the first several months, sometimes it takes until after their first molt until she will lay the size egg she is supposed too...

Congrats on the first of many eggs

Last edited:

Ol Grey Mare

One egg shy of a full carton. .....
7 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Oregon
My Coop
My Coop
Perhaps you meant to include photos? If so, they didn't come through. Egg size does not start out jumbo - eggs start small and, as the bird's system matures, they get larger. Egg color of dark laying breeds is often disappointing - you have to source birds from lines that are being bred with dark shells as a primary selection point for the breeding.

AmericanMom

Songster
6 Years
Aug 10, 2013
Oregon
Perhaps you meant to include photos? If so, they didn't come through. Egg size does not start out jumbo - eggs start small and, as the bird's system matures, they get larger. Egg color of dark laying breeds is often disappointing - you have to source birds from lines that are being bred with dark shells as a primary selection point for the breeding.

2nd on that, I purchased some Cukoo Marans and their eggs aren't any darker than my JG's..

Chquinta

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 9, 2015
Moss Hill, Texas

This is her first egg and the other is a regular egg from my EE..

Well I only ask cuz all of my 1st eggs from my first flock were all the same size from the start so it was weird to me that it was this small..

AmericanMom

Songster
6 Years
Aug 10, 2013
Oregon
Yes it does.

Then its normal...really.. I have bee raising chickens for years, I have over 30 layers and to many pullets and chicks to count. Some of my Speckled Sussex pullets are still laying a smaller egg. I am itching to incubate them but decided to wait another month or two.

Chquinta

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 9, 2015
Moss Hill, Texas
Ok great.. I have a first time broody as well I just put 10 eggs under to see if they hatch and i have so many questions and worries if she's doing ok.

Top Bottom