1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Welsummer and Penes crosses

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by EweSheep, Feb 7, 2007.

1. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    What do you have when you cross Welsummer and Penes????

I figured the calm temperment of a Welsummer can make the chicks more calmer than their Penes parent.

Perhaps a darker redder egg color of a Welsummer but a shade lighter than the Penes...

Anyone got pic of the crossbreds?????

Thanks!

2. deeszoo

deeszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    I do not know of anyone making that particular cross, though there was someone on the other board working on a Maran/Welsummer cross. I love my Welsummer hen! She is the only one that has been faithfully laying an egg for me every day through this horrible winter we have been having.

I don't see why it wouldn't work out. However, I expect that you will get some birds that have more of the Penes personality and some with the Wellies personality. The fun thing about chickens is that you can see what will happen in a relatively short amount of time, as compared to say - dogs or cows.!

Good luck on your experiment!

3. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Crosses are kinda of tricky to predict. I had a RIR and the only roo around was a Bantam Salmon Faverolle. Their offspring looks all Faverolle except no leg feathering but has the mothers personality. Bossy, Loud and is head hen or else. I was wondering afterwards if the cross was the other way, if the personality would be more Faverolle. Who Knows?

4. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    this would be an interesting cross.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by