welsummer and sp. sussex day old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 1mommahen, Apr 23, 2008.

1. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Can anyone tell me how to tell apart my sp. sussex and welsummer day old chicks? Can't find anything defining! Thanks:D

2. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    I'm not sure what a speckled sussex chick looks like to be honest but welsummer chicks look like chipmunks.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

So do SS chicks, LOL. I'd have a hard time if I had both in my brooder till they started to feather out.

4. AussieSharon

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Gosh there are so many chipmunk chicks. LOL Barnvelders are the same, can't tell them apart from a welsummer chick.

5. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Yes, they both look like chipmunks with racing stripes! lol I'll just tell DH I'll have to keep them all! While I'm handing him a pint of Ben & Jerry's to smooth out the transaction![​IMG]

6. AussieSharon

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Great idea. LOL Just hand him the ice cream and tell him you have to keep them all incase you accidently get rid of all of one kind.

7. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    How about leg color? Welsummers have yellow legs, SS have white.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

But, not right at the very beginning, I dont think. They have "baby legs", all pinky, then they turn. After they do turn, then you surely can tell the difference, but by then, the feathering will tell the difference, as well.

9. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Dont SS have a light patch on their chest, I cant remember! I dont even know if Welsummers do, hahaha.

10. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    i know what speckled sussex chicks look like but what do welsummers look like?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by