1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Welsummer? Barnevelder? Maran? How to choose?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pawtraitart, Aug 14, 2007.

1. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    I want to get some dark egg layers next spring to fill a section of a new coop I'll be building. I'll have enough room for around 12 birds in that pen. Any suggestions on breed? I'll be ordering chicks from a hatchery so I know they will be pet quality. Even so, I'd like healthy birds that produce nice dark eggs. Which breed is my best bet? Best Hatchery?

2. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    I've read, in more than one place, that the Barnevelders in the US don't lay very dark eggs. Don't know if it's true or not.

I'm considering all three breeds, myself, so I'll be interested in the responses.

3. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    You may want to check hatchery websites I would recomend Meyer, but know that they are sold out of Marans till 2008

4. pawtraitart

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    I'll be ordering in 2008 in the spring sometime. I'm just doing my research early. [​IMG]

5. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    I have Marans and Welsummers. I love both. My Marans eggs are darker but my Welsummers are better layers. IMO I think the Welsummers are prettier too. I don't think you can go wrong with either. It will be hard to find pure Barnvelders in the US. Plus I had also heard that the eggs aren't all that dark.

6. pawtraitart

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    Is it true that Welsummers are better at foraging and more economical with their feed? How many eggs per week could I expect? [​IMG]

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Had some Barnvelders and I agree with some of the members here, their eggs are not as dark...pretty much like a Barred Rock egg color. Beautiful birds tho.

Had Cuckoo and Black Maran birds, their eggs are dark but not as dark as the Penedscendas which I would NOT recommend those high strung birds for those who want friendly birds....

Above all, I love my Welsummers and they are good egg layers and dark terra cotta colors and they do lay well in this heat too. Laid me an egg everyday with a day off every six days or seventh day...a Sunday off for her LOL. My Welsummer gal is talkative and so laid back in personality and not a bit flighty. So Welsummers win me down hands down always LOL on the dark egg laying breeds.....

8. pawtraitart

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    Well....looks like Welsummers are the winner! Are hatchery birds any good? I was thinking about ordering from Ideal next spring.

9. ChrystalGail

ChrystalGail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Casa Grande, AZ
    I was thinking about getting some dark layers also, but I think I'm going to hatch some welsummers from eggs. Like a few others on here (I won't mention any names) I am becoming addicted to hatching! I really enjoy it and my kids love it, too.

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I would stay away from hatchery birds.....unless you are certain of their egg colors. There are plenty of Welsummer breeders in here like mothergoose which I love the color of her eggs.....Get them from her, and you will be pleased with the quality and beauty of those birds....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by