Welsummer, Black Copper Marans, and Australorps

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by cnjtnt, Dec 20, 2009.

1. cnjtnt

cnjtnt Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2009
    Federal Way, WA
    Anyone know a hatchery that sells Welsummer pullets, Black Copper Marans pullets, and Australorp pullets? We are looking to get all 3, but are having trouble finding a place that carries all 3 breeds.

2. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I think that the Black Copper Marans will be the ones that you will have trouble finding at a hatchery. You may need to get them from a breeder. Or decide that Cuckoo Marans will be okay. Lots of hatcheries sell Cuckoo Marans.

Good luck!

3. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    If you want dark eggs from your black copper and wellsummer I suggest getting them from a breeder. Will marrow has delewares, wellsummer, and black coppers. He won't sell pullets though just eggs and chicks. Most hatcheries sell poor quality birds in the marans and wellsummer.
    Good luck,
    Henry

4. cnjtnt

cnjtnt Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2009
    Federal Way, WA
    How many eggs to Welsummers and Marans give vs Australorps?

5. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Quote:The longer the Marans egg stays in the hen, the darker the egg color. Selecting for darker eggs has also selected for slower production. I get about 3-4 a week from my Cuckoo.

I think Australorps have the world record for most eggs in a year or something like that, so they are certainly more productive.

I can't speak for the Wellies, but I suspect they lay more than Marans and less than Australorps.

6. Vanessabuffsnsilkies

Vanessabuffsnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NE Ohio
    I received an email from Meyer Hatchery stating in 2010 they have added Black Copper Marans. It also said splash and white too, I believe.

7. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    I raise, breed, and show Welsummers. You can see pics of my birds and eggs on my webiste. Just FYI, my Welsummer cockerel took Best Continental at the State Fair this year. Having said that, I would encourage you to do a search on here for Welsummers and Hatcheries. I think you will find the info helpful. The short of it is, you will very likely be disappointed if you buy Welsummers from a hatchery.

Also, if you are interested in Bantam Black Australorps, my breeder has them. They are quite rare.

If you'd like to send me an email, I will send you additional information on the lineage/history of my birds. You are less than two hours from me.

God Bless,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by