Welsummer, brown leghorn or welbar?

You're not crazy to think Welbar. Some of the hatcheries tuck them into dark-layer assortments: https://www.idealpoultry.com/product/1333/62
Wow, maybe, considering that there's an Ideal here in Texas. I've searched in TSC website and Hoover is their main hatchery but I've heard that TSC gets their chicks from several hatcheries. Not sure how much longer they'll take to lay eggs, they're 17+ weeks. I'll keep you all updated when they do.

sorry I missed your post

They look awfully big for Leghorn compared to the BR

They're are as big as the barred rock and cuckoo maran I bought together. They looked older than the days old I bought the day before so they could possibly be 18 weeks.
Edited to clarify that I bought 6 the day before I bought the chickens in question back in April.

Hello :frowjust wanted to close this case for anyone who was interested in knowing the breed. They did turn out to be welbars after all! Wow, didn't expect that from TSC but I read another post here in BYC and seems like they did carried them here in Texas. Not sure how many are laying yet since I've been getting inconsistent colors, some have a heavy bloom. The egg color looks close to what a welsummer would lay. Hope this helps someone in the future. It was driving me nuts.

Attachments

• 20201021_180454.jpg
    20201021_180454.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 3
Hello :frowjust wanted to close this case for anyone who was interested in knowing the breed. They did turn out to be welbars after all! Wow, didn't expect that from TSC but I read another post here in BYC and seems like they did carried them here in Texas. Not sure how many are laying yet since I've been getting inconsistent colors, some have a heavy bloom. The egg color looks close to what a welsummer would lay. Hope this helps someone in the future. It was driving me nuts.
That's so cool. Thank you for updating this. Are those both Welbar eggs? And are they friendly chickens?

Back
Top Bottom