Welsummer, Brown Leghorns, and Speckled Sussex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hangin'witthepeeps, Sep 15, 2009.

1. hangin'witthepeeps

hangin'witthepeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Colbert, GA
    What are the differences in Welsummer, Speckled Sussex, and Brown Leghorn chicks? I ordered 25 rainbow pullet special from MPC and got quite a few brown striped chicks. Some with orange legs and some with pinkish legs. Some chocolate (stripe) color and some black (stripe). Some have lighter chests and some have lighter stripes with the brown stripes. All have single comb. As they grow, what do I look for to be able to tell what I have.

There is not much information on Leghorns on the internet. Just wondering if any of you have experience with these breeds and what to look for.

[​IMG]

and in the box

[​IMG]

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    The Welsummer chicks will be a bit reddish- or a mahogany kind of chipmunk pattern. The sussex will start getting white spots on their first feathers- but they won't be the red/green/black like the adults. I don't know diddly about leghorns- but I assume they are more "leggy". Cute babies!

3. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    The sussex legs will be white and the leghorn legs will be yellow.

4. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    The leghorns will always have yellow legs and white ears [​IMG] We have them in nearly every color...not a very big bird either-but then again ours are in with JG's so all are small.

5. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Here's a pic of one of my Speckled Sussex chicks. See how they have white bellys? I don't see any in your bunch.
    [​IMG]

6. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I'm mostly with Juliechick, none of them look like SS to me based on the SS chicks I got this year.

The only one possible might be the one on the left center of the box in the second pic, surrounded by the yellow chicks. I couldn't tell if that one was whiter underneath or if it just got more camera flash. But the pointed stripe on top of its head is much wider than my SS chicks had...

They do look like my Welsummers did.

I'm no help whatsoever re Brown Leghorns, though, sorry.

They are all mighty cute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by