Welsummer Chick Gender

applebutter14

Songster
5 Years
Jun 8, 2014
Iowa
I have seen that you can sex welsummer chicks. if you can can someone tell me what i have?

here is them together:

#1.

#2.

They both look like females to me cause of their dark eyeliner, but I'm definitely not an expert.

Last edited:
I heard if the have a V shape on their heads it's a female. if the V is not so clear cut, it's a male. it's very difficult to see in the pictures for me, but based solely on that "V" pattern my GUESS because one V is more definite on one, I'd say you have a Female and a male. I've never raised that breed myself but I do a LOT of reading about different breeds and such and this is what I had read. I hope this helps. I'm not 100% sure how accurate this method is but you look it up online and read about the "V" pattern sexing of a Welsummer chick if you like and read about it. Then make your determination from there. I do hope this helps a bit. They sure are precious!!

does anybody have any ideas?
caf.gif

Last edited:
Hi just wanted to say what ever they are they are Adorable!!♡♡♡♡ now here's what I read. The more defined "V" Shape on the back of their heads is female. PLEASE look this up online so YOU can see the picture examples of the male and female bird!! now I don't know much and I've never had this breed myself but came across their sexing online. I could be wrong all day long but from the picture examples I've seen I'm going to dare to guess the second one is female by how much more defined her V pattern is. This is why I ask you do a online search of " sexing Welsummer chicks by the head patterns." This way you get to see the examples
That would leave chick 1.a male. Please look it up yourself and let me know what YOU think. but chick 2 is definitely female. Tell me after you see a few examples what YOUR opinion is.???

If they were hatched from my line (there are variations by genetic lines) I would say they are likely both female. But just likely, I am wrong some of the time, but do about as well as the hatcheries claim (90 - 95%).

Back
Top Bottom