Welsummer chick: Is it a bantam, a runt, or maybe an imposter?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Coop Deville, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    I went to my local feed store on March 1 and there was a tub of chicks labeled as Welsummer hens. I was going to buy just one, so I picked one out (the bigger of the two pictured below). Then I noticed this smaller, lighter-colored chick that seemed low in the pecking order. It was really friendly, and I couldn't help but buy it.

So eighteen days have passed, and the little one hasn't grown much or changed color. You can see the huge size difference when compared with the other chick I bought (clearly a Welsummer pullet). My question for those who might be able to help: is this little one a Welsummer, or a different breed altogether? If it is, might it be a bantam or a runt? Maybe a cockerel?

Much obliged in advance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    The darker colored Welsummer chick is a pullet but the other one, I have NO idea what it is yet. The wing pattern is a bit different than the Welsummer. It may be just a smaller bird, not a bantam. Hatcheries don't sell bantams except for MPC.

3. Coop Deville

Mar 19, 2012
    Thank you. Here is a better view of the wing pattern, if that helps.
    [​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Maybe the lighter one is a speckled sussex? Speckled sussex chicks look very similar to welsummer chicks. The leg color also looks appropriate for speckled sussex.

5. Coop Deville

Mar 19, 2012
    Thanks to both of you for the information. I hope it is a Speckled Sussex. Since I became hooked on backyard chicken farming in December (got three barred rock hens from Santa), I've been bringing home a new chick from the feed store every few weeks, to the chagrin of my wife (that's not to say she doesn't love our chickens). This way I can get a new breed in my flock without actually adding a new bird.

6. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Yes, I think your larger chick is a Speckled Sussex, and that explains the size difference. I got some SS last fall and they were HUGE almost right away. :) My sole remaining pullet was the same size as my full grown hens by 4 mos, and now at 6 mos (and laying almost daily) she is a little bigger. She's going to be a very heavy girl once she fills in. She's a great little forager, too, which I like in a chicken. ;)

7. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    I have a Speckled Sussex and a Welsummer that are just a few days older than yours. They were difficult to tell apart as day olds.
    The Welsummers are much slower to feather in than the Sussex. This picture shows their size difference like yours.
    [​IMG]

Here you can better see their differences in coloring.
    [​IMG]

8. Coop Deville

Mar 19, 2012
    So it's been another week and the little one hasn't grown any. Very strange. Does anyone out there have any experience with chicks simply not growing? Might it catch up with the rest of the flock later? And any additional thoughts on its breed? Thanks to all who have contributed.

Here are two pictures from this morning:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. BrownSheep

BrownSheep Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Do you know what hatchery they came from?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  10. Coop Deville

Mar 19, 2012
    If I remember correctly, the clerk said they came from Ideal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by