Welsummer Chick Sexing (PICS)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wolverine, Sep 27, 2011.

1. wolverine

wolverine Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2011
    Hi all,

well, first hatch in our home-made incubator. So far, we have three Gold Laced Orpington from six eggs, and four Welsummer Large Fowl from six eggs. As we got the eggs from eBay, and had some temperature hiccups in the early days, we're quite pleased with that.

We've been reviewing the posts on sexing the Welsummer chicks. Can anyone confirm our opinion on these four?

One

[​IMG]

Two

[​IMG]

Three

[​IMG]

Four

[​IMG]

Number Two has a really clear "V" on its head, and clear "eye-makeup", so we think this is a girl. Are the others all boys?

Thanks for your help everyone

2. HogbackMtnChickns

HogbackMtnChickns Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    New Castle, Colorado
    Hi Wolverine. Congratulations on your hatch! Beautiful chicks!

I am far from expert. I bought Wellie chicks this spring with 2 other BYC'ers and we tried to split the gender evenly. Some of the chicks were clearly male or female - but some were hard to call. I kept 1 I was unsure of - and she was a pullet. Some of the other mystery chicks turned out to be cockrels, and some were pullets.

I have read that some lines of Wellies are easier to sex than others. I agree that chick 2 looks like a pullet. I think that chick 1 might be a pullet too. Chick 3 is hard to say - can you post a photo of the top of its head? Chick 4 looks like a boy to me.

Good luck with these guys.

Hopefully, someone with more experience will see your post and respond. You might try posting your picks in the "What breed or Gender" section.

Thanks for the reminder of what little cuties these guys are!

3. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    Need to see some clear close up shots of the top of their heads. If the brown patch is dar and well defined then it is probably a pullet it is irregular or kinda washed out then more than likely a roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by