Welsummer Chicks, How do you tell Hens from Roosters?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by feedstorechick, Oct 13, 2009.

1. feedstorechick

feedstorechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    I hatched 7 Welsummer chicks today. I know they can be sexed by color, but I don't remember what to look for. Any Welsummer breeders on here tonight?
    [​IMG]

2. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Umm, I have welsummers but didn't sex mine until their combs got bigger. I am interested to hear what everyone else says.

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I didn't know you could sex them by color!! I'm about to set a ton of eggs tonight- I need to learn this trick!

4. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    Opa is good at this. I think he said that if there is a clear V shape on the head it is a female. If it is not so clear then it's a male.

5. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I think i see 2 boys, 4 girls, and one unsure, but i would guess a girl too [​IMG]

6. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    The males have black and brown chests.
    The females have only brown.
    That's what I was told and seems to be right. [​IMG]

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I always sexed mine by the stripes on their heads. The pullets have the wider brown stripe outlined in black. The cockerels have the thinner brown stripe with no black outline. [​IMG]

It's hard for me to tell from the pic, but it looks like you have at least one pullet in the bunch and it could be one or two more. [​IMG]

8. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Quote:Thats what I thought too when I picked up my un sexed chicks from the breeder, she is a serious breeder and serious conservationist of Welsumers. Bloodlines and genetics etc.

I said to her looks like three boys and three girls.
    She said you can't go by the coloring, I thought oh yah she's trying to con me and get rid of her boys.

So I was thinking I had three boys and three girls and low and behold, the breeder was right. I have two boys and four girls and one of the boys that I thought was a girl was vice versa and same with the boys.
    I don't know if she was right or I didn't pay enough attention to the coloring. Some had very distinct V's on their heads but they grew to be either sex. [​IMG]

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:So if this is true, then that means my lonely little welsummer chick is a girl!! [​IMG] (I think [​IMG])

10. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Quote:So if this is true, then that means my lonely little welsummer chick is a girl!! [​IMG] (I think [​IMG])

She could have some company...I have one lonely Wellsummer here that by the Wellsummer page here on BYC on how to sex them is a pullet.Not quoting it but the pullets have eye liner and a defined V and the boys don't believe that's what I read.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by