Welsummer Chicks, How do you tell Hens from Roosters?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by feedstorechick, Oct 13, 2009.

1. feedstorechick

feedstorechick Songster

Jun 30, 2009
    I hatched 7 Welsummer chicks today. I know they can be sexed by color, but I don't remember what to look for. Any Welsummer breeders on here tonight?
    [​IMG]

2. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Umm, I have welsummers but didn't sex mine until their combs got bigger. I am interested to hear what everyone else says.

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I didn't know you could sex them by color!! I'm about to set a ton of eggs tonight- I need to learn this trick!

4. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Crowing

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    Opa is good at this. I think he said that if there is a clear V shape on the head it is a female. If it is not so clear then it's a male.

5. lurky

lurky Songster

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I think i see 2 boys, 4 girls, and one unsure, but i would guess a girl too [​IMG]

6. nhnanna

nhnanna Songster

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    The males have black and brown chests.
    The females have only brown.
    That's what I was told and seems to be right. [​IMG]

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Crowing

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I always sexed mine by the stripes on their heads. The pullets have the wider brown stripe outlined in black. The cockerels have the thinner brown stripe with no black outline. [​IMG]

It's hard for me to tell from the pic, but it looks like you have at least one pullet in the bunch and it could be one or two more. [​IMG]

8. BlackBart

BlackBart Songster

Mar 29, 2009
    Quote:Thats what I thought too when I picked up my un sexed chicks from the breeder, she is a serious breeder and serious conservationist of Welsumers. Bloodlines and genetics etc.

I said to her looks like three boys and three girls.
    She said you can't go by the coloring, I thought oh yah she's trying to con me and get rid of her boys.

So I was thinking I had three boys and three girls and low and behold, the breeder was right. I have two boys and four girls and one of the boys that I thought was a girl was vice versa and same with the boys.
    I don't know if she was right or I didn't pay enough attention to the coloring. Some had very distinct V's on their heads but they grew to be either sex. [​IMG]

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:So if this is true, then that means my lonely little welsummer chick is a girl!! [​IMG] (I think [​IMG])

10. HBuehler

HBuehler Songster

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Quote:So if this is true, then that means my lonely little welsummer chick is a girl!! [​IMG] (I think [​IMG])

She could have some company...I have one lonely Wellsummer here that by the Wellsummer page here on BYC on how to sex them is a pullet.Not quoting it but the pullets have eye liner and a defined V and the boys don't believe that's what I read.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: