Welsummer chicks male - female ?

Yes, I think the Welsummers in Australia may differ from those in the US. I noticed that your chicks have white legs and feet, and here the standard calls for yellow. Who knows what other differences there might be between the strains, which makes clues for sexing a bit more difficult. I think your #1 chick is all boy, but maybe there's room to hope for pullets for the others, especially #3 and #4! Sending girly thoughts your way!
fl.gif

ah thank you for that !! all mine have a 4th toe pointing to the rear which looks to me like a spur. They all have a nail on the end of it. I was wondering about those. It is so difficult to find other people who have Welsummer chickens here in Australia. I wanted light Sussex but the lady who sold me the chicks had these Welsummer chicks that were very healthy and already 2 weeks old. I also wanted some Australorp and she had some of those at 2 weeks so it all fitted together well and that's how I got my Welsummer chicks. I absolutely love them and can see myself getting very hooked on the breed. I plan to keep a Welsummer rooster and only hens from the Australorp chicks. I had noticed the huge difference in colour between the Roosters and the Hens from internet research. My number 1 chick is much darker than the others and clearly going towards a different colouring. The other 3 are the same in the way their colour is developing. They are very 'coppery gold' around the neck with feathers that look like lace. very very pretty !! I am thinking that I may have 1 Roo and 3 hens but we'll see. As there is so much difference in colour it won't be long before it will be apparant.
Oh no, the 4th toe is not what I mean. I mean spurs. On the females. This was when Violet wasn't even a year old yet (her spurs have grown since then):

Thanks for including the photo. Mine are only 5 weeks old, so there is much to develop yet. I'll keep an eye out for the spurs on the females ...... once I know which ones are the females
hmm.png

Oh no, the 4th toe is not what I mean. I mean spurs. On the females. This was when Violet wasn't even a year old yet (her spurs have grown since then):

My hatchery Wellie pullet has enlarged spur buds and was very late to start laying. Thought she may not have been producing proper hormones, but maybe typical for the breed? Did the spurs on your hen get sharp?

Back
Top Bottom