Welsummer chicks, pullets or cockerels?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by oliviaandjosh4, Mar 12, 2015.

1. oliviaandjosh4

oliviaandjosh4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2014
    I bought 3 welsummer chicks from Tractor Supply on February 21st, but my guess is they were about a week old when I bought them, so that would make them about 4 weeks old. Two of them have developed faster than the other one, they are almost completely feathered out with comb development although one has a bigger comb than the other. When they were chicks and even now, the two that have developed the most were and still are darker than the other one. The other one is more of a yellow tan color, while the bigger ones were more reddish brown. Idk if that matters with gender or not. I will post pics below in a comment, let me know what you think pullets or cockerels, thanks in advance!

2. oliviaandjosh4

Apr 28, 2014
    CHICK #1

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CHICKS #2 & 3

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    #1 looks like the only pullet.

4. ScenicViews

ScenicViews Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2015
    King, NC
    I am so glad you posted this!! I have a 4 week old also, still not sure about he-she, she is the smallest of the 7 I bought, but I bought 7, 6 different breeds, so... there you go.
    I think I am going to have to wait her-him out... Very dark v on the top of her head, right now she is one of my friendliest, but also one of the fastest to scurry about. She flies alot!

If she is a "he" I will have to find him a new home...

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    #1 pullet #2 & #3 cockerels

6. oliviaandjosh4

Apr 28, 2014
    Can you tell by the feather color whether or not they are pullets/cockerels? I know the combs and their size were an obvious sign of cockerels but have read where people can tell by their feather color. So glad I have at least one pullet!

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Chicks #2 and #3 are cockerels. The large red combs are one cockerel trait. It is also true, though, that you can sex Welsummers (and other Black Breasted Red color pattern breeds/varieties) by color when they grow in their feathers. The males tend to have darker coloring and black breasts, while the females have reddish salmon colored breasts and lighter coloring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by