Welsummer Chicks sexing

RingoldChick

Songster
Apr 8, 2018
I bought 2 Welsummer Chicks 3 weeks ago. This is the only picture I have of them then.

20180408_203245.jpg

The other pictures are from today. I think I have one cockerel and one pullet.

First one has a pink comb and wattles are starting to grow.

20180408_190641.jpg

20180408_190557.jpg

I had originally thought the one on the right was the cockerel..its colors are so vivid..but it has a yellow comb and no waddles yet.

20180408_190808.jpg

What do you think?

Last edited:
I think you have one of each. The one is definitely a cockerel. I think the other is a pullet for two reasons: 1. Comb is still yellow with no wattles showing yet, and 2. Breast feathers appear uniformly salmon colored where I can already see flecks of black on the male.

I was sold a welsummer chick that turned out to be a male, and I *think* I can see the differences having had both. Good luck!

I think you have one of each. The one is definitely a cockerel. I think the other is a pullet for two reasons: 1. Comb is still yellow with no wattles showing yet, and 2. Breast feathers appear uniformly salmon colored where I can already see flecks of black on the male.

I was sold a welsummer chick that turned out to be a male, and I *think* I can see the differences having had both. Good luck!

My thoughts, too. Hoping! Thank you!

Both 100% pullets.
Welsummer pullets have reddish breasts while cockerels have black.

Back
Top Bottom