Welsummer Chicks - What Gender?

rfunger

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 26, 2010
Front Royal, VA
Hi,

I have five Welsummer chicks, nearly 6 weeks old, and am not sure what sex they are. Here are the five chicks, any help would be appreciated!

64095_sany0182.jpg

64095_sany0181.jpg

64095_sany0180.jpg

64095_sany0179.jpg

64095_sany0178.jpg

I am not - NOT - an expert AT ALL but my Welsummer boys made themselves SUPER obvious at about 4 weeks and now, at almost 10 weeks, it's unmistakable. I think the only one that kinda looks boyish to me is the fourth picture. I think. I'll dig up the pictures of mine at that age and post them...maybe that will help.
smile.png

That's what I was thinking - I'm glad everyone agrees, that means I'm getting better at telling them apart
big_smile.png

I have ( I think ) 6 girls and 2 boys out of the last 8 I've hatched.....all different ages.

thanks for the responses! One thing the photos don't show, though, are their relative sizes. The chicks in photos 3 and 5 are are about the same size and are signficantly bigger than the other ones. However, their combs aren't the biggest.

I agree with the others who have posted. The 4th pic is a roo and the rest are pullets. Easy way to tell is that the roos have a black or mostly black breast and the pullets breasts are salmon.

You are going to love them!

Quote:
I have 2 of them and they are going on 9 weeks and it was pretty obvious early one ~ about 4 weeks ~ that one was definitely a roo!

Ok......don't be mad at me .....but.......

Photo #1 and 4 are cockerels
Photo #2, 3 and 5 are pullets

hide.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom