Welsummer cockeral v. pullet wing feathers? UPDATED W/ PICS

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jster, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Jster

Jster Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2007
    I hatched four welsummer chicks and they are now about 7 weeks old. They are being raised by a friend, and we're trying to figure out their genders. As far as chick color, one was noticably lighter colored. Then that one developed its feathers much more slowly. Now, I went to see them after not seeing them for a few weeks, and one has noticeably distinct wing feather tips. This one's tips come in almost in a funnel shape, whereas the other chicks have rounded wing feather tips. I might be able to post a picture later tonight. Does it sound like we have one cockerel and three hens? They are very beautiful!

Also, I was looking at a welp hatchery catalog. We got our eggs on the trading post and our thrilled with them, but I was surprised when the welp catalog said that their version of welsummers are 6lbs in 9weeks? Is that true? Ours are about 7 weeks and seemed about 1.5-2 lbs, not unreasonably huge. Is that just the variety they have?

Thanks in advance!

Okay, edited to add pictures:

[​IMG]
    This first one is of the pointy wing tips on the suspected boy.
    [​IMG]
    The second one is the rounded wing tips, the other three all have this kind.

Am I right about pointy wing feather tips being a boy?!?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  2. Jster

Jster Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2007
    Bump...anyone? Please? Anyone out there???

3. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    [​IMG] Hello, I am not an expert but I would say that your right! A roo & pullets!

4. SeramaSweetie

SeramaSweetie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2008
    Thomaston, Georgia
    Probably. [​IMG]

5. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Not to be a pain but, ............. could you post more pics? A head shot of each one? And a full body shot of each? That would help a lot. [​IMG]

6. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I don't know if you can really tell from the shape of the wing feathers?? But I do know that by 7 weeks my Welsummer roosters had some good sized combs going on and wattles sprouting. They were also much larger than the pullet with tree trunk legs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by