Welsummer Cockerel with Crooked Pelvis, awkward repaired break, or dislocated hip?

Some are born with skeletal abnormalities that become more noticeable as they grow.
Really?
I wasn't able to get a picture today. Spent all day butchering turkeys.
His pelvis was normal when I ran a skeletal check for broadness. One reason I was wondering if was an oddly healed injury, or possible dislocated hip.

Here's my Welsummer cockerel
At 10 weeks. His pelvis is perfectly straight, & normal.
20200610_122732.jpg
Here he is at about 6 months old this month.
20200811_140718.jpg
Close ups.
20200811_140819.jpg
20200811_140816.jpg
20200811_140534.jpg
20200811_140747.jpg

It may be a deformity as mentioned. Could be from a break.
I really have no idea, but I would say it's doubtful there's anything you can do to correct it.
Is he struggling to walk or in a state of decline?
He walks abit funny due to the tilt of his pelvis.
He's skinny, I think he may have an eating disorder, cuz he doesn't eat very much. He munches here, & there, but doesn't really eat all day like the other birds.

He also had a crop issue last month, but I cleared that up, by giving him probiotics, & it resolved within about a week.

You have more than one cockerel in there right?
Separate out the gimpy one, provide him with his own food/water and see if he does better as far as weight gain.
I would re-check that crop. If possible, get a fecal float to see if worms may be a problem.

You have more than one cockerel in there right?
Separate out the gimpy one, provide him with his own food/water and see if he does better as far as weight gain.
I would re-check that crop. If possible, get a fecal float to see if worms may be a problem.
I don't have a vet that will see chickens.

Yep, I have more birds in the coop. I've checked his crop recently, & it's not big, & squishy anymore.

I have two large Dog crates, I can use one of those.

Back
Top Bottom