Welsummer, Duckwing, What kinda chickens did we get?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hoodchics, Aug 25, 2014.

1. hoodchics

hoodchics New Egg

Aug 19, 2014
    We picked up 6 chickens off CL from a dilapidated green house after our dog killed all 5 of our Jersey Giant chicks. Please help us figure out what we got.

After a few weeks in the coop and zero eggs, we've started getting between 3 to 6 eggs a day. Some are very large, light brown with dark specks. The others are smaller and off white that are a little smaller than store bought eggs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Your black/gold hens appear to be Black Sex-links. They are your brown egg layers. The bird in the last photo is probably some sort of Old English Game/Old English Game mix, which explains the smaller white eggs.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The birds in the first few photos are black Sex-Links (also known as Black Stars). The bird in the last photo is an Old English Game or Old English Game mix.

4. arkansas55

arkansas55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2014
    arkansas
    beauty's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Your first birds could be black sex link, or they could be plain Barnyard Mix. You'd get that coloring from crossing a lot of red birds with a lot of black birds.
    The last pic does look like a wheaton game hen. The one I had years ago was the best momma hen I've ever had, even better than my bantam cochins.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by