Welsummer Egg color (pic #17)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by arllcountrygirl, Jan 8, 2009.

1. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

I just got a pair of Welsummers and the hen has just started laying. I believe that they were originally ordered from a hatchery, not sure which one.
    Well the hen laid today - needless to say it wasn't what I was hoping for. It [​IMG] It is a light brown egg nothing close to being dark. Do they get darker as they get older? Is it because they came from a hatchery? I am almost positive that these are Welsummer. I will get pics of egg and hen later. Here is a pic of the roo. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2009
  2. arllcountrygirl

Anyone??

3. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Just as with Marans, there is a wide range of egg colors in Wellies. They may get a bit darker in the first few weeks, but I wouldn't count on it!

Here are eggs from my Wellie girl that is already laying (I've got three, but the other two haven't started yet). The egg at the bottom of the pic is the very first egg she ever laid for me. You can see it's virtually identical to the next 7 in the pic -- and it's also nearly identical in color to all the eggs she has laid since then. The only difference is that the eggs she is laying now are larger than the first few were.

[​IMG]

4. arllcountrygirl

Ok - will her offspring lay darker eggs - maybe [​IMG]

5. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Again -- I wouldn't count on it!

6. arllcountrygirl

[​IMG] ok - thanks for the info.

7. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    Here are some of my Wellie eggs. I am very happy with the color.
    also, not to brag too much but some of my welsummers got Champion large Fowl and Champion Contiental as well as best trio at the show I took them to in December. So getting good egg color out of quality birds is extra special to me. [​IMG]
    (color is not exact as the flash makes them look lighter then they really are)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marans to the left and then some of my wellies in the last row on the right
    [​IMG]

8. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    My hatchery Wellie laid a light brown egg. It was pretty much the same every day until we lost her. (coon)

9. arllcountrygirl

Congrats!!
    Her's aren't even close [​IMG]
    I will post a pic tomorrow - Not sure what I am going to do yet.

10. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    wow! My Golden Comet hen lays eggs that look very similar to Wellie eggs nifty! even with those tiny lil spots. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Left to right:
    WLH Dbl yolker, Golden Comet eggie, normal WLH, road island red

and just for fun....my favorite pic *the close up*
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by