Welsummer Egg color (pic #17)

arllcountrygirl

lavender nutt
11 Years
Sep 27, 2008
Delight, Arkansas
My Coop
My Coop
I just got a pair of Welsummers and the hen has just started laying. I believe that they were originally ordered from a hatchery, not sure which one.
Well the hen laid today - needless to say it wasn't what I was hoping for. It
roll.png
It is a light brown egg nothing close to being dark. Do they get darker as they get older? Is it because they came from a hatchery? I am almost positive that these are Welsummer. I will get pics of egg and hen later. Here is a pic of the roo.
16353_20090106_7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just as with Marans, there is a wide range of egg colors in Wellies. They may get a bit darker in the first few weeks, but I wouldn't count on it!

Here are eggs from my Wellie girl that is already laying (I've got three, but the other two haven't started yet). The egg at the bottom of the pic is the very first egg she ever laid for me. You can see it's virtually identical to the next 7 in the pic -- and it's also nearly identical in color to all the eggs she has laid since then. The only difference is that the eggs she is laying now are larger than the first few were.

Wellieeggs--12-01-08small.jpg

Here are some of my Wellie eggs. I am very happy with the color.
also, not to brag too much but some of my welsummers got Champion large Fowl and Champion Contiental as well as best trio at the show I took them to in December. So getting good egg color out of quality birds is extra special to me.
big_smile.png

(color is not exact as the flash makes them look lighter then they really are)
l_3b64ec1723c34079bc10e29190484ae0.jpg

l_27e128fbbd27440d8fb537f0abe97f38.jpg

Marans to the left and then some of my wellies in the last row on the right
l_70a9c609bb6a4c61851de3202740dcd9.jpg

wow! My Golden Comet hen lays eggs that look very similar to Wellie eggs nifty! even with those tiny lil spots.
big_smile.png

IMG_5911.jpg

Left to right:
WLH Dbl yolker, Golden Comet eggie, normal WLH, road island red

and just for fun....my favorite pic *the close up*
IMG_5901.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom