Welsummer egg or Black Copper Marans'?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by laircy, Sep 21, 2016.

1. laircy

laircy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    California
    I got a pretty new egg today! But I'm not sure which chicken laid it. My BCM has been acting like she was going to lay, for a week or two now, but I also have a Welsummer who is almost 2 months older than her and hadn't laid yet either. Her comb and wattles aren't nearly as big and red as the other one, but they have been somewhat larger than they used to be a month ago. I've had a few chickens start laying before they had fully large and red combs and wattles, and I believe this egg looks more like a welsummer's. Or do black copper Marans sometimes have this light of color? On the right
    [​IMG]

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    The egg on the far right is the Welsummer egg. Welsummer eggs are typically dark and speckled. That's not to say Marans eggs are never speckled, its just not typical. Marans eggs do change color throughout the laying season. They are the darkest in the early spring when they start laying for the year and lighten up as summer goes on.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I agree.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Gray farms

5. laircy

Apr 2, 2011
    California
    That's good to hear. It's interesting that some chickens surprise you when they start laying, while others act like they're about to any day now, for a couple weeks.

6. laircy

Apr 2, 2011
    California
    Well, this was definitely Maran's egg. I saw her lay a similar one a few days later. Though now Welsummer has started laying:

Edit: Here's the welsummer's
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My blue copper Marans lady lays a similar egg, lighter with speckles. I'd be very disappointed if a black copper gave me that light of an egg, though......

8. laircy

Apr 2, 2011
    California
    Yeah, I was hoping for some of those super dark eggs. They've started to change color though, they're more red now. That first egg compared to one from today:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by