Welsummer egg! PIC

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HenHaven, Feb 25, 2008.

1. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    [​IMG]

Guess which one is the Welsummer egg! You can't tell from the picture, but the egg is a dark reddish-brown with very, very fine bluish-gray speckles. The speckles are almost indistinguishable, but they are there!

It's kind of like the colors you see on a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte--but very subtle! My egg customers will be surprised to see those eggs in the carton!

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Very pretty eggs. I love the color of the welsummer and marans eggs mixed in a basket.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Very pretty, Lynn! Hey, where are my pics of your new girls?!

4. HenHaven

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    Well, they are locked up in the tractor! I guess I could open the door and snap a few pics real quick!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  5. HenHaven

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    [​IMG]

The two new girls aren't lookin' their best! I dusted them with DE today!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They're very pretty-isn't one a mix, did you say? The Welsummers will blend in on my property with all the oak leaves! Easy to hide from predators.

7. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    They do have nice camo. I also like the dark eggs. Where did you get your hens from? I would really like a few more dark egg layers in a diffrent breed. I am also dreaming about getting a pure wheaton amerucana pullet or hen. So I can have white, tan, brown, green, blue and, dark eggs when my pullets finally start laying.

Thanks,
    Henry

8. HenHaven

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    Henry, I got my pullets from a person on the Yahoo group, California Chickens. We met up at the Fresno Show. Lori, (skeeter9) also got two from the same person.

Lori is going to breed them, so her two girls are from a roo and pullet that produce the darkest eggs of all of her chickens. I wanted eggs that had a little bit of speckling, so mine are from a different roo and pullet.

They do have great camo colors. Their beautiful golden hackle feathers give them a little extra pizzaz!

9. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    They look just like my brown leghorn.I know the fence is in the way but here goes.

[​IMG]

10. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Gorgeous! I've got two coming from Ideal in April. Hope they're are pretty as yours! (Hens and eggs!) I've got lots of oak leaves too. LOTS!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by