Welsummer egg pipping low... Any advise?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BeardedLadyFarm, May 28, 2010.

1. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    I have some Wellie eggs starting to hatch today. They're really not due until Sunday, but they seem to be in a hurry!

I'm hatching them on their ends. One seems to have pipped low, and is starting to zip. I can't see that the membrane has been broken yet.

Should I just let it try from where it is, or should I turn the egg on its side? I guess there's a chance of drowning when this happens, is that right?

I have some experience keeping my heat and humidity up if I need to go in the incubator, so that's not really a concern for me.

Thanks!

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Are they in egg cartons? I have to tell you, once a bird pips, it either comes out on its own, or not. What do you mean by pipping low - wrong end?

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Sometimes chicks don't break the membrane right away. They can still hatch fine. Be sure your humidity isn't too low though which would make the membranes even tougher. When I have them pip low in a carton I just use a bent metal coat hanger through the vent hole to tip it so the chick has a clear area to start zipping.

I've helped more chicks than I can remember that would not have otherwise hatched and so long as they weren't stuck for days at a time they have all ended up just as healthy as the others.

Last edited: May 28, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by