Welsummer experts "picture"

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by scgamecock, Aug 16, 2008.

1. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Could this girl possibly be a Welsummer?She was bought from my feed store which gets their chicks from ideal.I found a few odd ball chicks in the black sex link bin and this is one of them.She may be just an odd bsl but I guess I will know shortly cause she is 19 weeks old and shoudl be laying soon.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  2. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    Looks like a Modern Black Breasted Red Game pullet. Is it taller but skinnier than the other birds you have?

3. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    It looks more like a welsummer. But Im no expert. It doesnt look like my BBR Oegb(I sold her). She doesnt have the light colored earlobe, so Im saying Welsummer

4. scgamecock

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    No you can't tell it in the picture but she has a very large frame and in fact she is quite large for 19 weeks old.She maybe just an odd colored bsl cause that's what she was suppose to be anyway.I have some that are more red and black and vice versa.The more she matures the more she looks like a Welsummer so I thought I would ask since I've never had any before.Regardless I think she has turned out to be a very pretty pullet.

5. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    Is that blue lacing I see on her? She's a pretty bird....[​IMG]

6. scgamecock

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    No blue lacing.It's probably from the flash on the camera since the picture was taken almost at dark tonight.

7. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    Sometimes it is hard to tell in pictures with a camera flash, but the shanks look dark. Welsummers are suppose to have yellow legs. She does look to bulky for a game hen.

8. wclawrence

wclawrence Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like an oriental game X dual purpose layer I once had. (she was ASIL X RIR)
    but mine was a different color. That is really not the issue. She looks very muscular.
    Notice her other things.
    She has a straight comb, green legs, black beak, brown eyes. And she looks like she is a birchen/duckwing or birchen/wheaten split.
    Breed her to something NOT yellow legged and if any come NOT yellow legged that means she is not pure for yellow legs.

You may see when she begins to lay that she is an EE that did not inherit muffs from it's parents.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    If she is supposed to be a Welsummer, its a poor example of one. You can just wait and see what color of egg she will lay.

Breast color is wrong, and shank, leg colors are wrong. And black penciling is not typical of Welsummers either.

Heres the sample of one of my Wellies:
    [​IMG]

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    AS for Wellie's legs, they were yellow until they started laying, therefore, they turned bleachy yellow to white.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by