welsummer gender guess? 2 1/2 to 3 weeks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wahmommy, Aug 29, 2010.

1. wahmommy

wahmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2010
    obviously I'm hoping pullet - I know I have to wait for the breast feathers, some are coming in but I don't know, what do you all think? Also, her(?) legs are still not yellow, all the other pics of welsummers at this age I've seen have yellow legs, do you think she's actually an EE? Pinkchick said they might change, but she's at least two weeks old now (hatch date was approx Aug 11th) and they are still the same color. Her legs are the same color as the ameraucana (EE hatchery, you can see her in some of the pics) I have so just wondering what it might mean. I don't mind if she's actually an olive egger, I would just have to get a wellie from a breeder next time to get the dark speckled eggs. It just seems unusual...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Firearia

Firearia Chillin' With My Peeps

I would guess that they're both pullets, considering I see basically no comb development.

And they're also EEs from what I can gather.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    There are no welsummers in those pics. I'd guess 2 EEs- pullets if you go by typical color. I have had a few EEs that were really hard to tell for a while.

4. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Welsummers have yellow legs....and more noticeable combs. Very well could be EE's. One looks like a pullet...the other ??

5. wahmommy

Aug 14, 2010
    well I was told by the people at Kahoots (who got them from Privett) that this is a welsummer - the chick at a couple of days old looked like a welsummer, but the legs weren't yellow. When I noticed the legs I called Kahoots and they looked at the other "welsummers" and none of them had yellow legs... but she is supposed to be a welsummer. She looked markedly different than the ameraucanas (which I know are EEs) and there was nothing else that could have been a welsummer. So I assume she must be a cross of some kind? Or is she completely "unwelsummer?" She certainly looked like a welsummer at a couple of days old (except for the legs). Here's a pic

[​IMG]

6. Muggsmagee

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:Here is a little clarity, because there is SO much confusion over Ameraucanas.

No...an EE isn't an Ameraucana. An EE means it is an Easter Egger, a mix of either Araucana and any other chicken OR Ameraucana and any other chicken. The Araucana and Ameraucana are two different breeds that lay blue eggs. When mixed with another breed of chicken, the resulting pullet will lay a blue or green egg. Some EE's lay pink eggs, too.

So based on the comb (a bit too flat) and the color of legs...you very well have an EE! And in all actuality if it is a cross between a dark brown egg laying breed (Welsummer or Marans) and a blue egg laying chicken Ameraucana/ Araucana/or EE, you very well could have on your hands an Olive Egger (OE). Dark brown egg breed X Blue Egg breed = Olive Egg laying chicken. Of which is currently a desirable hen to have!

An added note: Privett is a hatchery. Hatcheries sell mixed breeds under the Easter Egger/Americana/Araucana heading! The Ameraucana breed name has no "I" in it. They sell them with that header because they lay a blue egg. They will never be show quality, only pets that have great egg color.

Your chicks are cute...let us know if you get OE's!

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Those look more like my EE chicks looked at that age than my Welsummers. I would say both are pullets. (But they always surprise you don't they!)

[​IMG]

8. wahmommy

Aug 14, 2010
    Mugsmagee - excellent explanation of EE- I know that anything that came out of a hatchery is going to be an EE not an ameraucana. In fact my original idea to only get only two hens (we want to ultimately have 3 or 4) is so that if I get something from a hatchery that was not what was expected, I could try and find a breeder near me where I could get the actual breed. Since I want so few birds it is difficult to get these small numbers from any breeders unless they were within driving distance (and I haven't had good luck finding any). However I will keep looking.

Secretly I hope to get an OE so I will cross my fingers and will let you know what happens! Regardless I already love my little chicks!!

9. Muggsmagee

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Order hatching eggs! I truly wish I could go back and do it all over again that way.

10. wahmommy

Aug 14, 2010
    I live in a very urban environment and I don't know that many people who have chickens or who want them- if I ordered hatching eggs I don't know what I would do with the rest of the chicks. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by