Welsummer gender, thoughts? Update

BaGAWK!!

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 25, 2011
Philadelphia, TN
THis little one is a 3 wk old. I think roo, b/c he is feathering very slowly, just a few feathers come in here and there at a time. Or do all wellies feather in slowly? I've never had one this young before. Also he has a flat spot where his comb is supposed to be. Don't wellies have straight combs? Maybe he is not a wellie after all! Are there certain strains of this breed that can have different combs?

'

Last edited:
Well Wellies should have single combs, but your right it looks a little odd
hmm.png

Are you sure that's a Wellie? Is it possible he's only part Wellie? He looks different than my Wellie chicks which I got from a hatchery. And his comb is definitely wrong.

Wrong head markings and the feather pattern is not correct for the Welsummer. His wing feathers looked more barred patterned. Also his chest feathers would have been black if it was a Welsummer.

I am sure it is a rose combed rooster.

It does not look like a Buttercup because their legs would have been greenish however if it is hatchery, it might be possible.
Does not look like a Partridge Wynadotte, neither a Golden Campine.

Maybe Golden Laced Wynadott comes to mind. But the feather pattern isn't correct.

I would like to see this little guy matured more and give us an idea who is really is.

That is interesting. He is from a breeder not a hatchery. She did have buttercups which I have 2 of and they are feathering out very differently. He seems to be pretty thick and heavy fur as large as he is so he is going to be bigger than a buttercup. The breeder also had EE, heritage RIR, giant blue Cochin, light brahma, Dels, black australorp, turkens and a few others I'm forgetting but would not look like him. She doesnt do mixes only purebred and has them separated by pen. But I suppose there could have been an Oops?!

Is it possible the chest feathers will start growing out black at his next chick molt? This is interesting bc her birds are very nice and true to standard. I will keep you posted as he grows. It's a mystery, Charlie brown!

I'm not familiar with rose combs, are they a standard size breed? Ya know... Come to think of it I remember her saying something about having another breed but wasn't happy with the way their offspring looked so got rid of them. Might have been gold laced wy. This is worth a phone call to her. This is really bugging me :lol:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom