Welsummer gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BaGAWK!!, Feb 26, 2012.

1. BaGAWK!!

BaGAWK!! Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    I got this little one from a hatchery as a sexed Welsummer pullet. Should be about 10 wks old. Can anyone confirm this is a pullet? She looks like what all the welsummer pullet photos I've seen, the only thing that worries me is that the wattles are reddening already. I've read that hatchery birds sometimes mature quicker, but didn't know if that was true. If so, this still could be a pullet, just maturing quick!

The dark parts on her breast are where she is either growing feathers in, or another chx plucked them out. It is the fluff underneath that is showing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    It's a girl. The coloring for a male at this age would be dramatically different.

3. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I would think pullet...I got sexed pullets, one died, the other ended up being a roo, but I don't remember him feathering out like that...he was much more red.

4. BaGAWK!!

BaGAWK!! Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    Oh, ok excellent! I'm so glad, i'm having roos pop up everywhere in my young-uns! Didn't need one more!

5. themenagerie

themenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2011
    Definitely pullet, the cockerels feather in black on their breasts. I bought six Welsummer pullets last September, one turned out to be a Roo and it was pretty obvious that he was different from the girls once he started to feather in.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    All girl. As mentioned, a male would be different colored.

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Definately a pullet! Congratulations!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by