Welsummer girl or boy???

chickenrant

Hatching
Apr 20, 2017
I'm new to this sight and I am wondering if I have a boy or girl on my hands. I don't have a picture of him/her but it has a little bit bigger comb and wattles then the other one.they are only a couple weeks old so it's hard to tell, but it has a different feather shape and pattern then it's friend. They are both Welsummer chicks for sure, but I can't tell if it is a boy or girl. Any tips???

(That is him/her next to the other one)

Last edited:
Need pictures.

Welsummer chicks are often mismarked, and there are a number of breeds that look similar in chick down but pattern out differently.

If they are Welsummer, males will have black chests as they feather in while the females will have salmon colored chests.

The female chick down has the chipmunk stripe running all the way down the head, neck and back, while the male stripe is blurrier and has a break at the neck. Females have strong eyeliner and a strong triangle on the head while again the male is smudged and softer looking in those markings. But hatchery stock is not as easily sexable as they don't keep strong autosexing lines.

So it is best to show pics especially since feed stores often place wrong chicks in bins, and even a few breeders have mixed up chipmunk chicks.

LofMc

Thank u for ur help Lady of McCamlely! They do have the chipmunk stripe and the other one who we know is a girl has the line all the way up her head, but the other one does not. We are hoping for a boy and we think he is but we want to be sure.

I will upload a picture when I get the chance and will keep reading your replies.

Back
Top Bottom