Welsummer girl?? pleeease??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mommapilko, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Mommapilko

Mommapilko Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2011
    Brisbane
    Hi, I'd really value some help here.. My family is new to chickens ( and BYC) but we've kinda fallen in love with our baby flock. One of them is Peri Peri, a little welsummer sold as a girl. She's 5 weeks old and grew her feathers in the way I thought a girl would, and is super friendly - loves jumping on our lap for a cuddle. [​IMG] But she has a very developed comb and I think it's pretty bright pink for a girl... She's a small, fiesty, loveable little chook and my girls will be devastated if she's a he and we have to get rid of well...him, but we can't keep any roosters!! What do you think???

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG](sleeping as a baby - just had to put this one in[​IMG])

2. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    It might be a hen but with an oddly huge comb for it's age. You can see in the pic I borrowed the adult coloring of Welsummers and yours seems to match the female coloring really well.
    Wait a little bit longer until its hackles(neck feathers) and saddle(feathers right before the tail that fall downward like a saddle on a horse) feathers start coming in then you can for sure tell it's gender.
    By the way, The sleeping chick is so cute!
    [​IMG]

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Oh my. That's a Roo with that giant comb and thick legs. [​IMG]

4. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

I am thinking, you had best post all your chicks... Cuz you have posted 2 boys so far... and I hope that who ever sexed your chicks doesn't quit his day job... WOW. LOL.

But, post them all, and we will help you with sexing. We love sexing chicks. LOL.

5. Mommapilko

Mommapilko Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2011
    Brisbane
    [​IMG] Oh no! Not sounding good at all. My girls are gonna cry (maybe me too)[​IMG]These little guys - 8 of them- were Xmas pressies. 4 were hybrid layers, and 4 purebreds. *SIGHS*

NovaAman, I'm off to take some more photos. I'll post later and would love your opinion.

Chiko, when do the hackle and saddle feathers start to grow??

Photos to come of an Australorp and a light sussex.....

thanks guys x

6. Chiko

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    Aww I'm sorry your girls will be upset :(
    but nurse_turtle thick legs don't mean anything. I had a black sexlink hen that was feathering out just like a hen but had enormous feet almost as big as my Orpington Pullet's legs but it turned out to be a normal sized hen :)

The hackles and saddle feathers usually come in when the adult feathers come in. They come in faster on roos though.

7. JerseyHen

JerseyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    I had two faverolle chicks that were overwhelmingly voted as roos because of the dark feathers coming in on the breast that are both happily laying eggs now. That said, I have 6 wellsummer hens and they did not have that much comb at 5 weeks and the breast feathers were that lighter salmon color... I would compare yours side by side and see if this one has a darker breast feathers. I also think that as a chick the females usually have a really well defined eye line and distinct "V" on the top of the head. I am far from expert though, so I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Here is a link I have found on wellsummers and sexing at 5 weeks:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/327279/how-to-spot-a-5-week-old-welsummer-cockeral#post_4000005

Did you get these from a breeder or a hatchery? I understand that many hatchery birds (like mine) have "off" coloring in the feathers. That will make sexing a bit more challenging.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    thats a cockerel just because it's current feathers are a hens doesnt mean anything those feathers will change as he gets older and gets his adult feathers. on top of the comb you have those deep red feathers thats indacative of a cockerel and yes i can see that color is even on the wings

110% cockerel

9. Chiko

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.

10. JerseyHen

JerseyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    One of my hens fully feathered (almost no comb), right around 7 weeks old.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by