Welsummer hen acts like a roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by brandy21410, Oct 6, 2016.

1. brandy21410

brandy21410 Chillin' With My Peeps

Has anyone else experienced there welsummer hen behaving like a roo? My welsummer is about 22 weeks old and she makes a very loud screetching sound and she makes other sounds like a rooster too and has yet to lay. Will this affect her laying? She also gets picked on alot because of her behavior. Info would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    The only noise that is generally exclusive to males (and even that is not always the case, as some hens can/do crow to one degree or another) is crowing -- all other vocalizations common in chickens are seen/heard in both genders. The noises she is making are not abnormal nor will they effect her production.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree with the above. She looks like a normal hen, reaching point of lay.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Agrees with above.....all those vocalizations could be part of her coming into lay......it's cacophony!

Or she's probably mad cause of that thing on her back....I'd squawk too!

1 person likes this.
  5. brandy21410

i know but she gets picked at until she bleeds so i put a sattle on but im not the best at making them lol so this was the first one. [​IMG]

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I imagine @aart was having a little fun with that last bit --- if/when hens need saddles they need saddles, good on ya' for offering her some protection and relief.

7. brandy21410

thanks it does look alittle rough but it doesnt bother her as much as the picking does. Plus i think she likes the color on her lol

8. brandy21410

Oh okay this is the first time i have ever had to make one the other hens just pick at her non stop intil she bleeds. Idk why they do it but there pretty agressive to her and one other hen. She has always done a loud drawn on squak and i think its her attempt to crow because she just acts like a roo its wierd. The sattle i dont think bothers her tho she goes about her day normally.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

10. Little Fuzzy

Little Fuzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2016
    I have a noisy Golden Star hen that likes to get up high and make fake crowing sounds. Usually on top of the trash can near my kitchen window. She loves attention. I have to go out there and push her off the trash can and tell her to shut up because that part of the yard is closest to my neighbor

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by