1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Welsummer Hen Vs Roo and Mystery Chick UPDATED with the rest... PIC heavy.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MomTooMany, Mar 26, 2017.

1. MomTooMany

MomTooMany Just Hatched

Mar 26, 2017
    Hello all. This is our 4th season with chickens, and we've had a heck of a time with so called sexed birds.Anyway, first up, was sold to me as a female Welsummer. Her name is Hermoine and she is about a month old. She is WAY bigger than the rest the same age (Ameraucanas and a RIR) now and I worry that her chest has some black to it. Maybe Welsummers are supposed to be so big? I don't know. This one is very confusing, as the coloring seems female EXCEPT the chest feathers (no solid colors). This one is also sometimes aggressive with the rest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next... funny story. My hubby and I were on a walk and a neighbor down the road said "we found a chick in our yard and you are the only one we knew who had chickens, so we put it back with the rest"... ha, nice... but not our chicken! :eek: It is slightly smaller than our month olds, maybe 2.5 weeks old? My first guess is maybe an EE but the legs are sort of grey. I see muffs, though, so who knows? Her coloring is different than our 10 other Ameraucanas, but I know that can happen. Any other type she might be? And is it indeed a she? I think the above chicken was picking at her, so her comb seems a bit more pink right now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    The welsummer looks like a rooster with the coloring on the chest.

The second one would be an EE if it has dark legs, otherwise I was going to say good laced Wyandotte, but they have yellow orange legs.

3. MomTooMany

MomTooMany Just Hatched

Mar 26, 2017
    Thanks... I was actually thinking that the wings on Dorothy (mystery) looked more lace, too. I will have to get her out from under the red light and look again at her legs, but they don't look yellow.

Hermoine, is there any chance she is a blend and the black may not rule out pullet? Bargaining, I know. Why are the tail feathers mottle and not solid? I am stuck on why the top looks so female.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You certainly should wait to be more positive. Chicks go through multiple molts and the colors change. I have never seen dark chest feathers on a hen of those breeds, or those colors. How old is it? Usually roosters will get a pink comb between 5-8 weeks and pullets will usually remain orange yellow longer. I do see why it's confusing though, so give it a few weeks yet.

5. MomTooMany

MomTooMany Just Hatched

Mar 26, 2017
    Just over a month... maybe right at 5 weeks, depending on when she hatched.

I found her only baby pic, it worries me, too after reading more. She is the bottom one. The other is our RIR, Jenny.

[​IMG]

6. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Post again in a week or two, feathering can change quickly.

7. MomTooMany

MomTooMany Just Hatched

Mar 26, 2017
    Ok, thanks. She has had to be separated, she is bigger than the rest and pecking everyone. Either way, she made need to go.

8. MomTooMany

MomTooMany Just Hatched

Mar 26, 2017
    I need some advice, as I strongly suspect I have a few roos... first, let's start with the 2 in the OP.

Hermione, sold as a female Welsummer... seems very rooish and has been separated due to aggression with the rest. My issue, the coloring does not look like any Welsummer roo pics I have seen. There is no true solid color on this bird, which I thought it would by now. About the same age as the first batch (about 7 weeks) but also much bigger.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

N
    ext is the "mystery chick" Dorothy. I assume an EE due to her legs, but she seems very laced. Black shoulders, kinda of small (bantam?) Pink comb and the wattles are starting. Based on comb, I would say boy, but the feathers show nothing that worry me (all rounded so far). No idea on age, but we've had her about 11 days now. What is she? Is it a she?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are more, but I know that there is a limit on pics per post. Thanks!

9. MomTooMany

MomTooMany Just Hatched

Mar 26, 2017
    Just a quick look at the youngest ones, 3 ish weeks now... the BO are a tad older. 2 Cuckoo Marans, 2 BO, and 2 sold to me as Ameraucana. One is a light cream and the other is almost pure white. One of the BO seems to be the lead hen, even tustles with Dorothy, who is obviously older and bigger. Are there Ameraucanas like this? Anyone looking suspect as a roo? All were sold as female.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. MomTooMany

MomTooMany Just Hatched

Mar 26, 2017
    Finally the 7 week old RIR & EE/ Ameraucana that were supposed to be pullets but I have my doubts on a few.

First, Jenny. She is a RIR but I swear I see pointy saddle feathers... or she has some weird feathers on top. Is 7 weeks too young for saddle feathers?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is Checkers, I had this one totally pegged as male, but now I am not so sure. I was going off the red shoulders before.

[​IMG]

Checkers on left, Jenny on right

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Checkers center, Jenny top right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, this is Eleanor. I thought we were good with her, but then I read a lot of "silver" EEs are male. She is big, and so pretty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by