welsummer hen

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by milleryardchx, Jul 16, 2008.

1. milleryardchx

milleryardchx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Washington State
    I found a lady who is thinning out her flock and she has a 5 month old welsummer hen. I was reading up on them and they seem to be not all that common in the US i was wanting to know how loud are they? i have two barred rocks an a Ameraucana how loud are they compared to a BR? whats their disposition? I saw that their egg coloring was quiet cool.

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I"m getting two welsummer hens (one year old) friday! Love them. They are beautiful..they are no noisier then the other hens she has. They are also not very large...they are not a heavy breed by any means.

3. milleryardchx

May 25, 2008
    Washington State
    How good are they for egg laying? my two BR have not missed a day since i got them back in may?

Quote:

4. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    My two pullets are just 3 months old and are very quiet so far. When they were getting to big for their indoor brooder they started getting a little pushy with the other chicks but now that they are outside they've gotten quite friendly. And they sure are pretty! Can't speak for their laying capabilities yet but I'm really liking them more and more.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They probably wont match up to your BRs, in general. The egg color would suffer. Think of it as putting paint on the egg and them taking longer to get enough paint saved up. They are not huge winter layers, I've heard, but someone who has mature ones like mothergoose (Christie) could tell us more.

6. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I currently have 18 welsummers and they are docile and quiet. You can plan on 3 eggs per week

7. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    I have 2 Welsummers now and have had them in the past. Mine have been laying almost everyday since they started up this spring as new pullets. They do take a couple of months off in the winter, as many breeds do.

The eggs they lay are beautiful and of good size--they have a more roundish look to them. Personality-wise they are rather benign, actually. Mine have never been overly friendly, they just mind their own business. They are great foragers, and if I'm not mistaken, are not prone to broodiness.

I don't think you could go wrong trying one out. I never want to be without a couple of Wellies--the dark eggs look beautiful mixed in with lighter brown and blue or green.

I say, take her! [​IMG]

8. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    they are way too noisy, mean, shed a lot and poop everywhere, you will hate her. Send her to me!

9. milleryardchx

May 25, 2008
    Washington State
    I called her for a pick up time and she had sold her.. grr rude! we already agreed i would pick her up in the morning just needed a time and she sold her [​IMG]

10. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    OH NO! I wish I could share one of mine with you [​IMG] YOu keep her a week, I keep her a week [​IMG] I really hope you fine another one. I got lucky finding the two I had. She offered me one and then she said..well maybe you should take two so she doesn't get lonely! I jumped on that right away! So for 5 baby chicks (one being a roo, were doing a trade) I get 2 grown laying hens and free eggs that week! I usually get 4 doz eggs from her! NICE

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by