Welsummer listless laying on floor of coop with no injuries

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pio pio, Dec 12, 2009.

1. pio pio

pio pio Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Our 1 year old Welsummer was laying on the floor of the coop this morning. She has no visible injuries but a little (few tablespoons) of liquid came out of her vent when she was picked up. She is resting on a blanket inside by the fire breathing slowly. She doesn't respond to much and hasn't opened her eyes in a while. I'm afraid we might lose her.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    History: She hasn't laid in several months. We treated her with permethrin for mites at the end of summer. She had them pretty bad and had lost a lot of weight. She molted and the new feathers were in all the way and had regained all of the weight, but her comb still has that ashy look.
    Her belly (between keel and vent) feels a little swollen and full of fluid, but it's hard to tell because we normally don't get to hold her for very long as she is active.
    Yesterday she seemed fine. We did feed her some dry roasted soybeans, but other than that I cannot think of anything unusual.
    Please help.
    Thanks.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  2. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Do you have central heating? If so put her in a room that is relatively warm and temp stable and crack the window open a bit to allow for fresh air. Being near a fireplace is the very worst place for a bird > they have VERY sensitive airways and should be nowhere near smoke of any kind!
    If the room is very dry (relative humidity) then hang a wet towel to up the humidity...
    It is CRUCIAL that she gets sufficient fluid intake... put electrolytes in the water and dribble some along her beak to encourage her to drink... offer a bit of LIVE culture yogurt in a separate bowl and add (human) cooked oatmeal (cooked in water not milk) to her feed (this will also help some against dehydration).

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  3. ChasSquirrel

ChasSquirrel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Oh my goodness. I found my sweet Ameraucana hen the same way this morning except that she was on the roost. She didn't come out as usual to get some bread so I went to look for her. She was just balled up like she was frozen. Now I know it got cold last night but not that cold. The main reason I am posting this is because I am just outside Charleston, SC and the poster , pio pio, is in Charleston as well. What a small world. I have my girl inside with me now. She is just sleeping. Don't really know what to feel for. She has stretched a couple times and opens her eyes every so often. I am just hoping for the best. She has hatched several babies for me and is an excellent mommy. I just love her. If she doesn't take any water or food soon, I will insist. Good Luck Pio Pio!

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    If she is swollen in abdomen, then she could have laid internally and you would need to try to get the impacted egg out. There are some forums regarding to impacted eggs. I lost a few Welsummers that way too and it is heartbreaking.

If her comb is going gray or blueish, the poison has set in her system and it would be wise to have her put down so she would not have to suffer any more than needed to.

5. pio pio

pio pio Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Thank you all for your tips and kind words.
    Sadly, we lost our girl Saturday around 2pm and think it was due to an impacted egg. We had tried the warm bath and she passed a little of what we think was the egg fluid, but no shell. Maybe it was infection--not sure. I spoke to a vet and they recommended that we bring her in. We were discussing the expense and whether she was up for the trip or not. Within the hour she seemed to be doing a little better was resting peacefully, fluttered and about five minutes later that was all.
    It's difficult to know if you are doing the right thing. Thanks again for the advice.

ChasSquirrel, how is your Americauna?

6. ChasSquirrel

ChasSquirrel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    My poor girl didn't make it either. She did seem to come around some after I posted here but then later in the afternoon on Saturday she got up and moved around quite a bit then died. I hate that when they do that. Why can't they just die in their sleep.... I buried her in an area on my property that I do not visit very often and it low and behold if I didn't find a hen that just hatched 10 new babies... [​IMG] I moved her and the babies to our 'nursey' and all are doing great! [​IMG]

7. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    I am so sorry you lost her. Just an afterthought but why were you feeding her dry roasted soybeans= Soybeans need to be processed in a certain way in order for them to be fed to birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by