welsummer/maran cross ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by troy5775, May 20, 2011.

1. troy5775

troy5775 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2009
    bootheel of Missouri
    I have three young welsummer hens and no rooster. After searching locally all I could locate were 2 blue copper maran roosters. Has anyone ever crossed marans and welsummers before? If so I would like to know the results.

2. troy5775

Jun 12, 2009
    bootheel of Missouri
    I have had 4 hatch so far from these crosses. 3 are solid black one is Blue.

3. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Hi!

I have crossed Welsummers and Marans just to see how big the offspring would get as I have unusually large Welsummers and a very large (12.5 lbs) Marans rooster. Only the male offspring were grown out, the female offspring I sold as regular layers. I was able to process the cockerels at 4 mos. of age and they dressed out at a very nice weight for being such young birds. They grew incrediably fast and were very friendly. I heard back from a gal that purchased the females from that batch and they too are very large and friendly birds, most look like Black Coppers and the others look like they are a mix. She reports they are good layers of nice dark brown eggs. The males I grew out looked like Black Coppers but a person could tell by the wing triangle that they were not as they had the Welsummer cinnamon colored wing triangle, also the leg color was sort of greenish, due to mixing the slate leg color of the Marans and the yellow leg color of the Wellie.
    Hope others come by to share their experiences with you.

Congrats on your chicks!

Got any photos of your Blue Coppers to share? [​IMG] Pink LOVES Blue Coppers! [​IMG]

4. troy5775

Jun 12, 2009
    bootheel of Missouri
    Will try to get some pics tomorrow, I picked up a blue copper hen and two black pullets as well. The hen is small compared to my welsummers. My wels. also lay some of the longest eggs, they barely fit in an egg carton.

5. troy5775

Jun 12, 2009
    bootheel of Missouri
    [​IMG]
    click on pic to enlarge

Here is one of the blue copper roosters and the two welsummer hens. A dog got my third hen and took some tail feathers off one.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  6. josh44

josh44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    my friend has done this for many years,

The Crosses lay dark brown eggs like welsummer, not as dark as Marans.

Hens looked black copper & like feather legged welsummer [​IMG]

roosters looked very nice w/ lots of color [​IMG]

I have owned some Marans X Wellie Crosses but didn't keep them for long.

Just tried raising them out of curiosity.

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:I had a friend that bought those pullets from experimental breeding from a breeder who gave them away for free. That is what they looked like and not as dark as Marans but darker than Welsummers or a shade darker than Wellies.

8. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Anyone have photos of eggs or birds of this cross? Any input as to how well they lay?

9. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Anyone?

10. truword1

truword1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2014
    Bump!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by