1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Welsummer, Marans, or Barnvelders

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by susansmith, Apr 19, 2009.

1. susansmith

susansmith New Egg

Apr 19, 2009
    I am looking to find someone who sells chicks that lay the dark brown eggs (I think they are called Welsummers, Marans, and Barnvelders). I am interested in raising 2 hens. If anyone has any idea of breeders/ or where I can get 2 female chicks that lay these dark brown eggs near Fresno, California or in the Sacramento area please let me know.Thank:)

2. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Sorry i cant help you just wanted to say [​IMG]

3. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    Try checking your local Craigslist or feed stores.

4. keystonepaul

keystonepaul Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Pocono
    I bought some eggs out of Texas a year ago Welsummers, Penedesncas and Marans. Screwed up the humidity and only hatched 5 out of 30. Mostly my fault I believe. The maran's lay beautiful dark eggs and have a good personality. My lone Penedensca is pretty flighty, can't get close and when on roost if you pick her up she struggles the whole time till you put her down. Maran's have been pretty tolerable of being handled. Good luck, Keystonepaul

5. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    Quote:I ordered my welsummers from a hatchery (welp and cackle )
    and they lay dark eggs that rival marans.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  6. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    Before you go ordering from a hatchery (or buy from anyone for that matter), you may wish to do a search on here for "Welsummers" with me as the Author. You will find information there from myself and others who have made the mistake of buying Welsummers from a hatchery.

In short, I'll just say this. I bought 48 Welsummer chicks -a dozen each that came from 4 different hatcheries and Welp was one of them - and I had to cull every single one.

God Bless,

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Ditto with Tailfeathers!

8. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    try AussieSharon I got wonderful Wellsumer eggs from her with 4 pullets hatching. Maybe she could sell you 2

I have some but am on the other end of the country. I could probably ship 2 but that would be very expensive an I am sure someone will step in and offer as well [​IMG]

9. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    Quote:Ewesheep and tailfeathers,
    since you had to cull everyone of them, could you explain why?
    obviously from a hatchery, I would not expect show quality birds, but the eggs I get are nice and dark. my hens are great foragers and I have yet to lose one to a hawk and I have many of them. I would not take my birds in the show ring but then again, I wouldn't take any hatchery birds into a showring . when I buy from a hatchery, I am looking for 2 things, egglaying ability or a meat type bird depending on what I am buying. one hatchery I purchased from had much smaller birds then other but I have large eggs from both sizes. maybe I had no expectations as to egg color when I got them to compare to, so for me, they were a good choice.

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    The egg color is poor or you might mistaken them for barred rock brown eggs. No tint of terra cotta color to them either. And they usually have the wrong breast feather colors. If egg laying is all you care, then get them from the hatchery. If the terra cotta eggs is what you want, best bet is to get them from breeders. They are not all that much difference in price. I would sell the Welsummer chicks for five bucks a piece straight run or 15 to 20 dollars for a point of lay pullet. You would be guaranteed for a terra cotta colored egg layer.

When I buy Welsummers, I buy quality, not quantity. The hatchery breeders just breed and not culling out the light egg layers or poor specimen of a Welsummer even in local shows would not be a good example. I also like to know what I am getting and getting my money worth out of the breed as well. If you really want hatchery stock.... The only hatchery I would advise in getting Welsummers, the better than Ideal ones, is Estes Hatchery who they bought all of Calicowoods stock when the owner died. I've got one hen that is a second generation Calicowood breeding and she lays a beautiful dark egg. All the others were from Barber lines.

Tailfeathers may know more since he has more input from older breeders and what kind of disappointment he had with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by