1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Welsummer Mix Rooster??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by heath_elisha, Nov 9, 2011.

1. heath_elisha

heath_elisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2011
    Massachusetts
    We have a beautiful rooster we call Big Red. He is a sweet tempered roo that has fathered some beautiful babies. We have no idea what breed he is though. After looking online, I came across the Welsummer breed and I think he may have this in him. What are your opinions??? (Pardon his short tail feathers- went through a moult recently)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two of his girls (different mothers- one EE and one possible Catalana)
    [​IMG]

One of his daughters
    [​IMG]

Thoughts anyone? Really just proud of him- such a beautiful animal.

2. wvchickenhouse

wvchickenhouse Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Pax, WV
    Definitely a Wellsummer. I have one just like him named Wyatt Earp.... I was wondering when he breeds with my White Leghorns what they would look like [​IMG]

3. X2Farm

X2Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    Welsummers should have yellow legs, your guy appears to have whitish, which makes me think Marans.

4. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    he is definitely part welsummer

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    im thinking bcm and welsummer mix

6. heath_elisha

Oct 19, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Well- when we hatched eggs from this black hen (no idea what she is) they created some beautiful babies that I suppose kinda resemble BCM's......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. greensandjeans

greensandjeans Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2011
    Quote:You have some lovely chickens. I don't know about the answer to your question about the rooster, but the last two in these photos look just like my black-sex link chicken. But I don't know enough about chicken breeding to know what two types are crossed to produce this result. I'm sure someone else does.

Here's mine before she began to lay.
    [​IMG]

8. heath_elisha

Oct 19, 2011
    Massachusetts
    We were told that the black hen might be a sex link or black star. Makes sense, since her babies look like yours!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by