Welsummer or brown leghorn

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by babyrnlc, Sep 24, 2011.

1. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    This chick is 4 months old. She was sold to me as a Welsummer, was originally from Ideal.

I just wanted to check one last time. If she is a leghorn, she is going to a friend (that almost has their coop finished), if she is a welsummer, or still a chance that she could be, then we are keeping her. Her earlobe is not red, but her comb has not even started turning yet (most of my other pullets are at least pink.) My white leghorn pullets have pink, almost reddish and much larger that this girl.Thank you

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My other girls, see all the pink!!
    [​IMG]

2. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    You have a lovely flock. I don't know the answer, but hopefully someone with more knowledge than I will tell you.

3. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    My Welsumer has red ears. (as does one of my adolescent, alleged EE's from a hatchery, go figure)

4. babyrnlc

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Quote:when did it turn red? was it right before it laid, when the comb changed?

5. babyrnlc

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Quote:thank you, these are just the chicks we just got. (Got them all when we went to buy the "welsummer" lol)

6. egglicious

egglicious Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Looks like a welsummer to me.

7. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

That would be a brown leghorn pullet.

Welsummers lay brown eggs and have red earlobes. They don't start out with white earlobes that turn red, they have red earlobes from the get-go.

8. babyrnlc

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Quote:Now I am confused, cause in the welsummer thread someone said that they are flesh colored like the combs and then turn red as the comb does.

I know my other brown egg layers did not start out with red earlobes, they turned red when the combs and wattles did. I have never seen a chick with red earlobes.

I will be fine if this is a leghorn. I just dont want to give it away and then it turn out to indeed be a welsummer.

9. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Quote:You are right that they start out as flesh colored. The one in the picture is not flesh colored. Those lobes are white. It still may not be a leghorn.

The problem is that it is rumored that Ideal crossed leghorns into their contracted welsummer flocks a few years ago to improve fertility. This ruined the egg color in most of the offspring as well as shape, size, and coloring of skin, legs, and lobes. This is why I do not buy from hatcheries unless I only want layers, which that pullet should be.

Matt

10. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    The problem is it's a hatchery bird that's why nobody knows it's lineage, it was a mix breed at the hatchery, here's the thing if you were to bring it in to the hatchery they couldn't even tell you what it is, that's how bad it can be. either way you got a chicken that lay's eggs and that what most hatchery folks are after anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by