Welsummer or Cuckoo Maran

Shaelyn Hill

In the Brooder
Dec 17, 2017
So I currently have a Welsummer and a Cuckoo Maran (both from a hatchery) who recently have started laying. From what I have read both should lay dark brown eggs. According to the hatchery I got them from “Marans lay the darkest eggs of any breed“ and Welsummer are know for “the production of dark reddish brown eggs.” However, I am getting one light brown egg and another darker brown egg that is speckled so I’m having a hard time figuring out which egg is coming from which bird? Any ideas? Originally I thought the speckled egg was coming from the Welsummer but the more I try to look up stuff about them the more I’m unsure.

Attachments

• 501B4078-01BF-4894-AB31-0CA2B6CC640A.jpeg
    501B4078-01BF-4894-AB31-0CA2B6CC640A.jpeg
    538.3 KB · Views: 67
For the Marans
you want to watch who is laying what and take the average color of the first 20 eggs that She lays. that will tell you what her genetics basically are for laying a dark-colored egg .
Karen

My hatchery clean legged (not French) cuckoo Marans hens had brown/ tan eggs, barely a shade darker than my other brown egg layers. I was not happy! Since then I've had Cackle's French wheaten Marans, and some black copper Marans from a private breeder, and had very nice dark chocolate eggs from both.
Mary

So I currently have a Welsummer and a Cuckoo Maran (both from a hatchery) who recently have started laying. From what I have read both should lay dark brown eggs. According to the hatchery I got them from “Marans lay the darkest eggs of any breed“ and Welsummer are know for “the production of dark reddish brown eggs.” However, I am getting one light brown egg and another darker brown egg that is speckled so I’m having a hard time figuring out which egg is coming from which bird? Any ideas? Originally I thought the speckled egg was coming from the Welsummer but the more I try to look up stuff about them the more I’m unsure.
My welsummer lays eggs that look like the one on the right. Tetra cotta colored with speckles

My welsummer lays eggs that look like the one on the right. Tetra cotta colored with speckles

Ha ha. My hatchery French cuckoo marans lays eggs identical to the one on the right. The color of my bantam welsummers' eggs is more like that on the left. I think you'll have to catch them at it. :)

Hatchery Cuckoo Marans typically lay average brown eggs. Even show quality Cuckoo Marans rarely lay the dark brown that other varieties of the breed are known for.
This^^^ was also my first thought.

You probably won't know who laid which until you catch one in the act.

My last Cuckoo Maran's eggs were always speckled, and only slightly darker than a normal brown egg. I have another one now, but at 32 weeks old, she still hasn't started laying.

Back
Top Bottom