welsummer & partridge rock dev. comb early?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by t/m, Sep 19, 2011.

1. t/m

t/m Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA
    Do Welsummer hens and Partridge Rock hens develop combs and wattles early? Is this how the breed grows? Or do I have roosters? I can't send pics at this time. They are approx. 6 wks old from Meyers hatchery. I got 6 different kinds so I can't compare them to each other. Also I can't figure out which is the welsummer and which is the PR! My others are a Delaware, White Rock, Barred Rock and an Easter Egger. Thanks, I know pics would be best but have no way to do that at this time.

2. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    Not particularly, that I can think of, but I don't know how fast the other breeds that you have grow. One thing that always clued mi in with my Rocks were their legs. The Partridge rock roos always get HUGE legs, and they run like scarecrows or something. LOL

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Welsummers are easy to sex by feather color. If she has a salmon breast, brown back, and gold ticking in her neck, it's a girl. If instead you're seeing red and black splotches, it's a boy. My Wellie girls confused a number of people who didn't know this into thinking they were cockerels because they have relatively big combs/wattles, thick legs, and pronounced spur nubs... but the coloring is unmistakable.

Partridge rocks don't have the salmon in their breast -- the brown from the back continues around the chest.

4. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Quote:I ordered from Meyers also back in the spring and I'll include photos of mine at 7 weeks for your comparison. The PR's had small wattles and combs at that age, Delaware, BR & EE started later on, my 3 PR's did not get big combs or wattles until very late around 22 -23 weeks old but now they are monsterous, huge combs but they all lay huge eggs also, you will love them, very heavy birds.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. t/m

Jul 21, 2011
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA
    Thank you! Your replies have been very helpful. From another post I think my PR is a roo [​IMG] but at least now I know who is who! Still don't know if the Welsummer is pullet or not but leaning toward that direction. Time will tell I guess! Thanks again. I love this site!

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
  7. t/m

Jul 21, 2011
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA
    Thank you, it did help 'cept now I think my Welsummer is a roo too [​IMG] I'm going to go out and check the color now! I thought I read where wellies were one of the easier ones to sex. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by