Welsummer pullet with spurs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by DianeB, Dec 22, 2016.

1. DianeB

DianeB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    My 5 month old welsummer pullet is developing very large bumps on her legs. Larger than any other I've had at this age. I'm 100% positive she's a pullet. But, am not familiar with this breed. Is it normal for spurs to develop on this young of a welsummer pullet?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Picture of the bird?

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've seen several Welsummer pullets/hens on here over the years with respectable spurs.

Welsummers are easy peasy to sex, especially at this age. If her breast is red/brown/salmon colored, it's female. If it's black, it's a male.

Post pics and we can confirm. But nope, it's not unheard of for pullets of any breed to have spurs. That's why spurs (presence or lack of) is not a good indicator of gender.

4. DianeB

Mar 12, 2009
    She started laying a week ago. Her nubs seemed to have stopped developing, too. Still very sweet and quiet.

I was afraid she might have a hormonal issue. Lost one once at 6 months to a giant tumor in her ovary. She never layed but had a giant comb.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Glad you're getting eggs!

yeah, the hormonal things are always a consideration. Just cause a bird is genetically female doesn't guarantee she's got a healthy reproductive system and will be a layer.

6. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    My oldest welsummer hen has some pretty big spurs, so I don't think it's anything to worry about. Mine will be 8 this spring.

7. DianeB

Mar 12, 2009
    8 years old is impressive. Hope my little sweetie is around that long.

8. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Mine has spunk, and some arthritis in her feet. She has been one of a kind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by