Welsummer question

ellevin11

Hatching
11 Years
Oct 20, 2008
I have a 4 month old Welsummer who is unusually loud. It is definitely a she -- there's no crowing -- but she squawks and screams as loudly as a rooster might. Has anyone noticed this with their Welsummers? Will it go away? We live in the city, and I'm afraid the neighbors might start complaining if it doesn't!

Thanks

I have one Wellie girl that just talks alot and the rest of the three does not. It all depends on your tolerance (your neighbors too) if you need to keep her or not. It usually will not go away with age LOL!

If you must, you may have to find her a home.

Mine are crazy loud too! They are 9 mos. old and have been loud for months! I think it's the breed.
hu.gif

My welsummer (chippy) is really only loud when she needs in the nest box and there are other hens in them. She was escaping out of the pen to lay them but, we fixed that problem. She does get really mad when I bring bread or some kind of treat out and I don't hand feed her
roll.png

Last edited:
Mine are not loud and obnoxious and I hatched them from eggs that came out of Mothergoose's stock.
big_smile.png

I do have a leghorn pullet that's screaming for a date with a hatchet.
hmm.png

My two Welsummers NEVER shut up, at least when I was around. I never knew if they were begging or they were unhappy or just Chatty Cathys. The were gentle and calm just very noisy

I got Wellies from Mothergoose, and they are the loudest ones I have. But, I really ENJOY the chicken chat, so it doesn't bother me. If they are ever quiet, I'll know something's wrong, too! And, you sure CAN'T beat those gorgeous eggs they lay!

The two pullets I have are really reserved and quiet. I've never really heard anything out of them.

From reading everyone's different posts here, it seems that it all depends on the stock they come from.

I hope she calms down for you though. Welsummers are one of my most favorite breeds. They are lovely birds and lay gorgeous eggs!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom