Welsummer Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mjanderson437, Feb 24, 2013.

1. mjanderson437

mjanderson437 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    SC Lowcountry
    I think one of my welsummer pullets is really a roo. All of a sudden I just noticed how much brighter the feathers were all over and how red its comb is compared to the other. The guy I bought them from said he'd switch out any roos but now I have to resist the impulse to keep him and add another pullet. I'm afraid my husband is going to riot eventually. ;). What do y'all think? The one in front compared to the one in the very back.

[​IMG]

2. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Okay, a few things I noticed was brightly colored hackles, and some saddle feathers. He definitely looks like a young cockerel to me. Also, is that a beard on him? Because, he looks much more like an EE roo, and Welsummers don't have beards.

3. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Is the bird in front the one you're worrying is a roo? I agree that it looks rooey, but it seems to have a beard... I think it's an EE, not a welsummer!

4. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    I agree it is an EE. Very pretty but not a welsummer and I dont see a welsummer in any of those birds
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here are my wellie roo and hen

5. mjanderson437

Feb 1, 2013
    SC Lowcountry
    The middle two are supposed to be speckled Sussex. Only the front and back ones are supposed to be welsummers. I googled images of welsummer pullets and I thought the one in the back looked like that. But since I've had chickens all of 4 months, I'm obviously no expert. I wouldn't mind an ee at all, but a roo does me no good. I am not sure what exactly a beard is, so I'll Google then take a closer look at him. They are only a few months old at this point.

6. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    The one you're asking about looks like an Easter Egger roo. The girl in the back resembles a Welsummer, but has a really red neck.

7. mjanderson437

Feb 1, 2013
    SC Lowcountry
    OK, I googled beards and examined my suspect and I definitely see what you mean. He is pretty...wish he was a hen, then I wouldn't even mind the mix up, as I'd like some ee. Shucks. Here's a closer pic of the pullet that was in the back in the first pic.
    [​IMG]

8. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    I love my EE's. Love the blue eggs and they are super layers. Sorry it turned out to be a boy. Your hen there looks like she coud be a wellsummer. I am also concerned about the light neck but different stock produces different variances. Whatkind of comb does she have/??

9. mjanderson437

Feb 1, 2013
    SC Lowcountry
    It's little... like little bumps in a row and a light pinky/flesh color.

The guy probably had hatchery stock, which is fine...I'm no breeder. If I had an ee hen, I might keep the roo just cause I like his looks, but since I don't, I'll probably trade him back for a pullet.

Thanks for all the input!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by