Welsummer rooster or egg layer??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by budda, Jun 7, 2011.

1. budda

budda Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Atlanta GA
    This one is growing much faster than the others and was wondering if it was rooster...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you need more pics, i can go outside at some point today and get a few.

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    That is a pullet! Congratulations!

3. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Quote:Totally agree! EweSheep is the expert though! [​IMG] You'll get some dark brown eggs from her!

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:Totally agree! EweSheep is the expert though! [​IMG] You'll get some dark brown eggs from her!

It depends on the chick, where it came from. If it comes from the hatchery, it is a 50/50 shot for the correct egg color OR get a blah drabby brown egg color.

Or for some people, a major disappointment, a Brown Leghorn when the white earlobes starts popping out or white eggs. A good number of folks got "ruined" by hatcheries or got the mixed assortment of rare breeds, thinking it was a Welsummer when it isn't.

All in all, it is a pullet!

Thanks, but I am not an expert, still learning and talking, emailing some of the breeders, young and old members. [​IMG]

5. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon

It depends on the chick, where it came from. If it comes from the hatchery, it is a 50/50 shot for the correct egg color OR get a blah drabby brown egg color.

Or for some people, a major disappointment, a Brown Leghorn when the white earlobes starts popping out or white eggs. A good number of folks got "ruined" by hatcheries or got the mixed assortment of rare breeds, thinking it was a Welsummer when it isn't.

Thanks, but I am not an expert, still learning and talking, emailing some of the breeders, young and old members. [​IMG]

I have my own welsummer who somebody said had to be a roo because her chest isn't salmon colored, is this true?

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    mother o' chicks72 :

Quote:It depends on the chick, where it came from. If it comes from the hatchery, it is a 50/50 shot for the correct egg color OR get a blah drabby brown egg color.

I have my own welsummer who somebody said had to be a roo because her chest isn't salmon colored, is this true?​

It depends.

There are more ways of telling about a roo than just going solely by its chest color. His comb, feather pattern and shape, his chest colors, all are the factor of determining the sex of the Welsummer.

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I have a fast-growing Welsummer pullet also. She's still bigger at 9 weeks than the other two but the difference is less now.

8. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    i have a 9 week old welsummer roo and these are nothing similar, i think you have a pullet there!

9. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    Quote:I have my own welsummer who somebody said had to be a roo because her chest isn't salmon colored, is this true?

It depends.

There are more ways of telling about a roo than just going solely by its chest color. His comb, feather pattern and shape, his chest colors, all are the factor of determining the sex of the Welsummer.

well she has a pretty small comb and her pattern is kinda scattered...not much of a pattern.

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Definitely a pullet. Nice bright yellow legs too! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by