Welsummer Rooster Pick - Which One?? Pics Included

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CountryMom, May 13, 2009.

1. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    We have four Welsummer Roosters. One is from a different breeder and I plan on keeping him. He is a bit older also. My son has named him Wall-E and is your general lap puppy dog personality - for now. They are all very young. The three younger roosters I have came with three pullets in the batch. I plan on keeping one of these three. My son who is 7 also is trying to help me decide. They all seem to be built similar (even though it is hard to tell from my pictures) but each is a bit different in size. The main difference I am seeing are their combs. One has a big gap. One has some funky spacing between points and is generally the smallest of the three. And one seems to have a nice comb, but is medium built compared to the other two. Since the roo Wall-E we are keeping doesn't have a perfect comb, I wanted to make sure the next had a better one. So please help us in deciding which one. I realize these guys are young, but it is time for us to rearrange and need them to be sent to new homes.

Wall-E - the rooster that stays....excuse the hen's tail....
    [​IMG]

Wellie Roo #1 Big bird, but funky comb...
    [​IMG]

Wellie Roo #2 Actually very slender and tiny - and pic caught when he was running
    [​IMG]

Wellie Roo #3 The one we are considering. Has nice comb, medium build. I took a bad picture confirmation wise as he was wobbling trying to balance.
    [​IMG]

2. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I agree. roo #3. His comb is nice and is a healthy red. If the two are very close, it's usually the rule of thumb to take larger one.

Roo #3, though in an awkward position, looks stronger and looks like an overall better bird. The first pic, Wall-E looks good too.

3. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Yup, I would keep #3 [​IMG]

4. CountryMom

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Ok, that makes me feel a bit better. My experience is with other animals in breeding and I am thinking along those lines. In other words, keep the roo with the better comb to help boost the roo that we are keeping for sure since his comb isn't as nice.

Gosh they are such skinny birds compared to our big black Orpington rooster! LOLOL I sure hope to see these guys and my SLW fill out soon.

Thanks!

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    #3 would be good and #2 is good as well. Cull #1, funky comb.

6. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    Do any of them have white in their wing feathers? That is a no no, if that helps any.

7. CountryMom

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    L&Schickens :

Do any of them have white in their wing feathers? That is a no no, if that helps any.

Oh thanks! I will check tonight for sure, but I don't believe so. I am about to go out and feed and they will be one of the ones on top of me as usual. These guys are so much sweeter than our hatchery Wellie was.​

8. CountryMom

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Quote:yeah see that funky comb is just not very pleasing is it! LOL If I could get an acurate picture between 2 and 3 you would see that 2 is nearly half the width and smaller in stature than #3. So that is why I am leaning toward him. He just isn't as big as #1.

Glad I am not too far off in my thoughts.

9. CountryMom

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Looked over their wings on every one and no white to be found. Maybe spending a fortune on these guys was worth it. LOL

10. chookster77

chookster77 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2009
    Unless cockerel #1 has side sprigs on his comb or some other serious fault we cannot see from the pic, I would pick him--hands down. IMHO it is a mistake to cull a bird over a minor comb flaw when it is superior in type and vigor to the others.

Good luck!
    TC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by