Welsummer Rooster Termperament?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by speckledhen, Apr 28, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Any comments on that from people who have them? Just wanted some input, in case I decide to keep one from my current hatch. Christie, maybe you especially, would like to comment, since these are from your birds. How many roosters do you have?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Id like to know too. I have six from her, and Im hoping I can get a nice trio or more from them. (and you have no idea how appropriate my user title is right now....).

3. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

I only have one, so I am not an expert. He is still young and so not "manly" but he is kinda flighty, and FAST! He is not agressive to my other birds.

Sorry, that is all I have.

4. chickenshadow

chickenshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    Iowa
    [​IMG] Day 9 here on Christie's eggs. [​IMG]

5. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
  6. chickenshadow

chickenshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    Iowa
    Quote:Thanks Aussie that sounds like a good hatch rate. I'm so excited I think I need
    to go candle some eggs. [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I even participated in that thread and forgot about it, but I also didnt remember flyingmonkeypoop's comment about the rooster. Sounds great! Thanks, Sharon.

My hatch rate was awesome, too, Sharon. Got 13 from 16 eggs. Two made it to hatch day, one zipped and died and one died with the beak in the aircell, even. I have one little Wellie pullet chick that I noticed today was a bit too lethargic. She isn't eating the crumble, either, just watches the others eat. I crushed some then added vitamin water to make a slurry and smeared it on her beak so she'd have to eat it. Then I syringed water in her mouth, too. Hope she makes it. Dont know why I didn't notice it. Well, I guess I don't really know why I did notice it with all those chicks in the brooder!

8. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Cyn I can't find the article I read ages ago when I was searching breeds but it was enough to tell me that I wanted LOTS of Welsummers. So the roosters must be sweet ( always the exception to any breed though )

I have some 3 1/2 week old Welsummers and 1 is less than half the size of the others. She is a runt if ever there was one ( not from Christie's eggs ) but the cutest and spunkiest personality. She may be little but she doesn't take any [email protected] from the other Welsummers and Cornish X ( who are 10 times her size )

Cyn I hope your little one does ok. Do you think the others weren't letting her have her share?
    I've got 16 Wellie eggs I got off ebay due to hatch Wednesday. They are soooo cute, I just can't help myself. Will have to post pics when I get a second so we can compare [​IMG]

9. Frogtown

Frogtown Back 40 Farm

Aug 16, 2007
    South Carolina
    Cyn,

I really like my welsummer roo. He is so handsome, and he is not aggresive. Kellogg and Raisen Bran now have had their first chick, and I think it's a girl!!!

10. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Hey Cynthia --

I'm probably going to be in the market for a Welsummer roo (and a coupla Welsummer pullets) in about 3 or 4 months. If you haven't gotten rid of all your extras by then, please let me know. If you're really NORTH Georgia, you shouldn't be too far for me to drive. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by