welsummer roosters co-exist with other roosters??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hillschicks, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Hillschicks

Hillschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    First and foremost, i understand every rooster is different

That being said, anyone have any problems with welsummers roosters not getting along with other roosters?? We have a buff brahma roo now.. brahmas are known to get along fairly well with other roosters... Can anyone say the same of welsummer roosters??

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    roosters do best when theyare raised together from my experience. If you must introduce a new rooster, give them "shifts" where you put one roo away and bring out the other. make it so they cannot see eachother but can hear eachother, be on hand when they get introduced.

3. Hillschicks

Jul 17, 2012
    Seperate living space, seperate flock... Mutual free range space of a couple acres of yard/woods... That however doesnt answer my question of are welsummer roosters known to get along with other roosters or are they known to have issues with other roosters

4. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    sorry I only had welsummer hens. although once I hatched a roo that was welsummer and coocoo maran. too bad it wasn't a hen, would have liked to see those eggs.

5. Hillschicks

Jul 17, 2012
    Absolutely... Thats half the reason we are thinking about adding some welsummer bloodline to our flock is prettier cartons of eggs... The other reason being with free range there are predator issues... Our personal biggest issue being possum... I figure my buff brahma is big but if i can find another rooster he gets along with its just that much better of a chance they can fight a ******* possum lookin for a fat hen to eat

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I would not get an adult rooster to put in with your brahma, you'll just end up with a big fight. I'd hatch a welsummer rooster and raise it with him.

My welsummer rooster is very protective of his flock. He has been very tolerant of other roosters that were raised in his flock. He let them know he's head honcho, but he has never hurt any of them. He's great with the babies too.

If you can get a trap, you might have better luck trapping the opossum.

7. Hillschicks

Jul 17, 2012
    We trap everyday... But you cant trap them all especially free ranging... No, we would never get an adult bird anyway, every bird we've had or plan to have will always be day old chicks... On account my brahma roo is very docile (mid range pecking order) i dont think he would mind a welsummer growing up and taking charge... We are going to give it a try... If the welsummer grows up and there is an issue he can stay in his coop/run until he gets rehomed, we eat him, or our brahma gets taken down by a hawk or possum

8. themenagerie

themenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2011
    I have two Welsummer roos, they were raised with my Orpington roo who's a few months older than they are. Everyone gets along for the most part, I'm sure it helps that I have about 30 hens. The Orp is the boss, the other two breed when he's not looking, no one seems to fight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by