Welsummer sexing - boy or girl?

lisa.1988

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 25, 2011
Hi
You were so much help with sexing my Black orp which turned out to be a boy, I am wondering if anyone can help me with this little Welsummer. We only have one so no comparison but it had a distinct V and eyeliner at day old so we thought girl! Now it seems to have very long tail feathers and I am not so sure............About 10 weeks old now

Last edited:
Sorry - can't work out how to add more than one photo so this is the last one!

There appear to be red feathers on the wings and black on the chest coming in, which both indicate boy.

Last edited:
Thank you really wanted it to be a girl!
Have a look at this photo from when s/he was hatched - was I wrong all along to think it was a girl?

barnie.gif

Just thought I'd update you on Kellogg! At 20 weeks he is most definitely a boy. Hasn't crowed yet and is very timid but has started to try it on with his buff Orpington sisters. He still gets attacked by our older chickens so spends most of the day hiding. Will probably have to get rid of him at some point :-(

Just thought I'd update you on Kellogg! At 20 weeks he is most definitely a boy. Hasn't crowed yet and is very timid but has started to try it on with his buff Orpington sisters. He still gets attacked by our older chickens so spends most of the day hiding. Will probably have to get rid of him at some point :-(
Will you have to get rid of him becasue you think he's too timid or because he is a roo? He may be a late developer and still has a bit to grow before his confidence is up. He's not even crownig yet (which may also be becasue you have another dominant roo). I have a 1/2 Faverolles roo who was a real spaz at 20 weeks. He's just now acting more like a 'normal' roo at 8 months. At this rate, he'll be fine by summer. After having a dominant jerk for a roo, I am happy to have a more genteel boy. Give him more time. Honestly, if your older girls have never had a roo around before, then they may never accept any roo mounting them.

I will have to get rid of him if he becomes aggressive or crows a lot. We have never had a roo before. Don't mind that he is timid - I would rather that than aggressive - but I do feel a bit sorry for him being constantly attacked and being scared of everything! The older chickens are not harming him just a quick peck here and there.

Hi everyone!!!

I went to a chicken auction today and bought a dozen Welsummer chicks. I was thinking they were a few days old, but once I got them it was clear they're more like 2-3 weeks. Now I'm starting to think I just got a dozen roosters from someone who weeded them out of there's and sold it as a straight run. Any tips on sexing them???

Here's a pic, not that you can sex from that...
Don't mind the 7 hamburgs in there

Back
Top Bottom