welsummer sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JamesA, Aug 13, 2008.

1. JamesA

JamesA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Cedartown Georgia
    can welsummers be sexed at birth by color?

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    No, they are very unreliable. The V that showed up pretty well, made out to be both males and females. I sorted the muddy V;s as if they were cockerals....got four cockerals and one pullet. The V's had four pullets and five cockerals. I bought them as straight runs.

So they are not all made the same. Some certain bloodlines you can make out the sexes at hatching time.

Hope that helps!

3. JamesA

JamesA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Cedartown Georgia
    Idea poultry called last week and said they had welsummers I had put my name on the list for so I ordered 10 pullets and 2 roo's.They came Friday and 2 looked lighter and did not have a solid v so I was just wondering if they were the roo's.Does anyone have any idea of Idea poultries welsummer quality?They are very healthy looking.

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Well I hate to put damper on your Wellies but I've heard about folks very disappointing with Ideal's Wellies because their egg color were not correct, some were too light, just ordinary brown eggs. So I stayed away from hatcheries (except for Estes Hatchery which they bought out all of Harry Shaw's Welsummers when he passed away) and stuck with real Welsummer breeders.

For me, I would stick with Wellies tht would pass on the wonderful terra cotta colored eggs. Contact Mothergoose or SpeckledHen for possible hatching eggs.

All my girls are from Mothergoose stock, Gordie's and Calicowoods lines.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by