Welsummer, Speckled Sussex, or Light Brown Leghorn?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KABerries, Feb 21, 2019.

1. KABerries

KABerries Chirping

Feb 25, 2017
    I received an assortment of rare chicks and brown egg laying chicks from Meyer Hatchery - 16 total. I'm trying to identify them now. I've got this adorable little girl who I can't decide if she's a Welsummer, a Speckled Sussex, or a Light Brown Leghorn. I'm leaning toward the Welsummer, as her coloring is a bit light for the other two.

(A few things she is not, as she was not "banded" by Meyer: Blue Orpington; Barnevelder; Frost White Legbar; Jubilee Orpington; Blue Copper Marans; Golden Cuckoo Marans; Black Copper Marans; White Marans; Blue Ameraucana; Swedish Flower; Cream Legbar; Patridge Penedesenca; Blue Splash Marans; Olive Egger.)

Anybody have an educated guess? Yellow 1 002.jpg Yellow 1 008.jpg Yellow 1 009.jpg

2. JB8907

JB8907 Chirping

Dec 24, 2018
    Southeast Texas
    Chicken...Definitely a chicken

3. KABerries

KABerries Chirping

Feb 25, 2017
    HA! You got me snort laughing on that one.

4. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    :lau
    A cute one too! ❤️

5. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    She appears to be a Welsummer chick.

6. KABerries

KABerries Chirping

Feb 25, 2017
    While we're at it, here's another. Very similar looking, but with crisper, stronger markings and more black markings on face. She also has a white speckle on each eyelid (at first I thought it was in the eye, but it's a color patch on the eyelid). She's very sassy for a tiny chick Green 1 003.jpg Green 1 005.jpg Green 1 008.jpg , and actually looks more like the band-identified cream legbar (but, again, face markings more dramatic). Any suggestions on breed?

7. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chook Snuggler

I'm thinking they're both Speckled Sussex....see the classic white "bib" that indicates future spangling? SS (and any spangled bird, for that matter) always feather in white in this region.

Here are a couple of my Welsummers vs. last year's Speckled Sussex.
    DSCN5652.JPG
    DSCN9130.JPG
    ~Alex

8. Trux

Trux Songster

Mar 26, 2018
    SoSoCal
    welsummer_group_1_.jpg file image of welsummer chicks

trumpeting_angel likes this.
  9. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! And Nuts For Horses!

Jun 9, 2017
    NW Missouri
    They are too young to tell. Those three breeds look very similar at this age, and with hatchery birds, you can't really go by the markings. Post pics of the comb and earlobes at 8 weeks.

You will be able to tell pretty soon if it's a SS or not...as it feathers out.

10. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Crowing

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I agree with Crazy for Chickens.

It is too hard to tell with hatchery chicks as the markings won't be accurate.

Typically, Speckled Sussex should have beige legs while the Welsummer or Leghorn should have yellow...but that rule is broken consistently with hatchery stock.

So bib will not be an indicator either.

Give photos when juvenile feathers are fully in and so we can see earlobe colors.

Leghorn will have white earlobe while the Sussex or Welsummer will have red.

LofMc

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: