Welsummer, Speckled Sussex, or Light Brown Leghorn?

Some of those photos are superb. Great shooting. do think the 'Preacher' Speckled Sussex caption to the picture fitted it quite well.
"And when you sin ... do it well, it gets easier over time." Or was it Martin Luther who said that if you sin, do so boldly and then find yourself in faith.
“There is a charm about the forbidden that makes it unspeakably desirable.”
― Mark Twain
That chick looks like it ate the original apple and feels good about it.

There's oftentimes a significant difference between Brown Leghorn/Welsummer (I lumped them together because these breeds truly are indistinguishable until later on) and Speckled Sussex chicks. :) Even within hatchery birds, actually. I've owned many Welsummers from various sources, as well as SS, and numerous Spangled/Black Breasted Red Old English Game bantams (same colors, same concept).....never had trouble telling them apart. Spangled birds usually sport a stark white or yellow bib (marking where their first white plumage will emerge), whereas wildtype patterns normally don't.

You should see the overstock bin at Meyer.....always full of at least 40 beautiful SS, all bibbed and gorgeous. :love Yet again, never struggled to determine the differentiating features between spangled and wildtype breeds thrown in when selecting peeps.

Here are just a few of my Spangled OEGBs:
DSCN4695.JPG

Welsummers from a couple years ago:
DSCN4906.JPG

Of course, there will always be exceptions. Just something I've noticed so far. :)

~Alex

Last edited:
There's oftentimes a significant difference between Brown Leghorn/Welsummer (I lumped them together because these breeds truly are indistinguishable until later on) and Speckled Sussex chicks. :) Even within hatchery birds, actually. I've owned many Welsummers from various sources, as well as SS, and numerous Spangled/Black Breasted Red Old English Game bantams (same colors, same concept).....never had trouble telling them apart. Spangled birds usually sport a stark white or yellow bib (marking where their first white plumage will emerge), whereas wildtype patterns normally don't.

You should see the overstock bin at Meyer.....always full of at least 40 beautiful SS, all bibbed and gorgeous. :love Yet again, never struggled to determine the differentiating features between spangled and wildtype breeds thrown in when selecting peeps.

View attachment 1680769
Welsummers from a couple years ago:
View attachment 1680774
Of course, there will always be exceptions. Just something I've noticed so far. :)

~Alex
That one baby chick sure has a funny looking beak

You should see the overstock bin at Meyer.....always full of at least 40 beautiful SS, all bibbed and gorgeous.
~Alex
Beautiful chicks! Mine have that obvious white bib like yours in the top pic. I guess I'll have to just be patient and wait a few weeks. :p

Back
Top Bottom