Welsummer STILL hasn't laid at 30 weeks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mamahenAtlanta, Feb 5, 2015.

1. mamahenAtlanta

mamahenAtlanta Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    The rest of the flock has been laying a while. She's the hold out. What is wrong with her? Healthy, happy, talkative.... she just hasn't laid. She's in the middle of pecking order

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Are the rest of your flock also Welsummers? Is she demonstrating any of the laying signs? Squatting, becoming comfortable with the nest boxes?

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welsummer often are later layers. Where did you get her from?

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Do you have a pic of her? How do you know she's not laying? Have you separated her to see if she's simply laying a regular brown egg?

5. mamahenAtlanta

mamahenAtlanta Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    She's my only welsummer -- others of various breeds are laying now. All different color eggs so I know she's the holdout. Now at almost 31 weeks. She definitely squats and has had very red face and comb for a long time. Here's a pic of her (several weeks ago) I guess she's just a late bloomer. She was an odd one from the beginning, but fast becoming one of my faves. She talks to me a lot and is much friendlier than she was as a baby, and so pretty! [​IMG]

6. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I've read so many of these "why isn't my chicken laying yet" posts and there is rarely a consensus if the bird appears healthy. If illness is an issue, it seems easier to track down. So many factors to consider and breed isn't always predictable. By most accounts I've read, 31 weeks isn't a point to be concerned yet. But I'd say if she hasn't laid by 52 weeks, then she probably has a reproductive issue, perhaps a deformity.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My thought is to separate her to see if she's simply laying a regular brown egg.

8. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You could check her pelvic points.

2 bony points on either side of vent:
    Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
    More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

9. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Interesting tip!

Does this only apply to birds that have never laid an egg? What I mean is, if a hen goes into a molt, will her bones retract to less than 2 fingertips width? Or is it once she's laid her first egg, things are stretched out for the rest of her life?

10. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by